Sign in to follow this  
RSuds

Fish Pond

Question

We did a house yesterday and it had a fish pond close to the house, we were careful not to get much chemical in it. We have done a lot of houses with ponds over the years and did not have any problems. I got a call today saying that all fish are Dead. I was shocked since I was at the job and did not get much of the house wash in the pond. I think that they had 9-10 fish and some big, it was around 100 gal. of water and I'm not sure but I will take care of it and make everyone happy. Did anyone else have this problem??

38 answers to this question

It just made me mad because I have done them before with no problem but all it takes is one time. I will tell them if it is close to the house take the fish out for a day or two.

The thing about some of these fish is that they may start as a $5 baby - it's when they're 10 years old and huge that they have the high dollar replacement value.

Exactly! The 3 that didn't make it after my job were to turn 11yrs old the next day. The 4 other big goldfish in there with them were a little younger. They didn't make it either. It was not a good day in Larry Land that day let me tell ya.

We have some floaters, They are a little frozen, but 2-3 of them were still alive??

post-2545-137772296985_thumb.jpg

post-2545-13777229706_thumb.jpg

Edited by RSuds

That white Koi floater at that size looks to be about $75. You can buy then small for about $9 bucks a piece but when they get much larger as they age they can cost easily over $500 if not more. They tend to grow to the surroundings of the pond but since that pond doesn't look to big that fish might close to being full grown.

How many fish did they say you killed?? I have a gut feeling that you may have to give back the money for the house wash to call it even....

Good luck

I did a house this year with a koi pond less than two feet from the back of the house. I covered it up but told the HO I would make no guarantees on the fish survival because being that close to the house some run off might get in there even with it covered. My son did some work out there a week later and the fish were still swimming.

Some of them over in Japan can cost 30K for the show quailty ones. (yes they have koi shows like dog shows) I read up on them once and every pond there has a "fish master" guy who like monks spend their entire life devoted to that koi pond. By selection you can go over there and apprintence for 1 year with the master guy living with them working every day from sun up to sun down taking care of those dang things and the pond. They cull off 98 percent of the ones they start to get the perfect shape size colors and markings. The ones here arnt worth that much no matter how big they get. Don't let someone beat you up too bad under the pretense "koi" are worth all that because what you killed is an inbread muntant from petco. People with show imports from Japan wouldn't let you near their pond to begin with before taking them out.

I have two Koi ponds in my backyard. I use to go out there and feed the fish and watch them do tricks in the water like twirl around because they were excited that they were going to be fed.

So What Happens?? Within a two week span I Find about 10 koi's with there heads cut off(Raccoon attack) and other missing altogether. I have since bought an electric fence to put around the ponds but they would still need a net to go over them because of the Herring and Hawks that skydive to eats this delicacy.

So today these ponds are just filled with dirty water...next years project.

John, I think you have found a way to expand your business. "John's Rent A Raccoon" You will have those deck guys beating down your doors.

Removal is always a great option. We had to redo a water feature with koi and they hung out in a 55 gallon drum for almost 2 weeks. They were some very happy fishies to be back in their own space when we got done though :)

th_Waterfeature.jpg

We did a house yesterday and it had a fish pond close to the house, we were careful not to get much chemical in it. We have done a lot of houses with ponds over the years and did not have any problems. I got a call today saying that all fish are Dead. I was shocked since I was at the job and did not get much of the house wash in the pond. I think that they had 9-10 fish and some big, it was around 100 gal. of water and I'm not sure but I will take care of it and make everyone happy. Did anyone else have this problem??

YOU ARE A MURDERER! IM TELLING PETA (dont ask me how i know)<-everyone else was doin it