Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

Fire Hydrant Use

Question

I will be washing some condos and will be tapping in to a fire hydrant. I have a choice of standard 3/4 connection or a 2inch quick connect.

Has anyone ever used the 2 inch QC and where do you get the hose with the 2 inch coupler? Do fire companies ever loan them out? I will probably be making about 15 trips to the hydrant to fill a 500 gallon tank so I would like to use the 2 inch if possible.

11 answers to this question

In most cases ( if not all) you will need to go through your local water district to rent / pay deposit for a meter with the proper adapter for your supply.

I have done this in ATL where they monitor heavily, and supply all the needed adapters.

We use the standard garden hose connector (3/4?) when we have to do it. You don't need a special hose coming off of a hydrant meter. The meter is not sized for a fire hose, the outlet is much smaller than a fire hose.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Beth, I think he is referring to the cam lock connections for quick filling his tank, not working off of the hydrant continuosly.

If you don't have a Agri Supply of Tractor Supply close by, Just ask them(who ever you are getting the meter from)to leave off the cam lock and get a 50' section of 3' fire hose with National Standard threads from them. Most will rent it to you for $5 or less.

Beth, I think he is referring to the cam lock connections for quick filling his tank, not working off of the hydrant continuosly.

If you don't have a Agri Supply of Tractor Supply close by, Just ask them(who ever you are getting the meter from)to leave off the cam lock and get a 50' section of 3' fire hose with National Standard threads from them. Most will rent it to you for $5 or less.

Ah! Gotcha. Thanks. I'm used to when the guys meter the water use through a hydrant.... :)

Beth

I will try to rent one from a firehouse or go to tractor supply. I imagine that through a 2 inch connection and three inch hose that I should get atleast 50gpm taking 10 min to fill the tank instaed of an hr.

2.5 hrs of fill time for 15 trips instead of 15 hrs. time is money.

thanks!

Depending on the hydrant psi(around here 90 is average with 110 on the main lines down to 50 on cul de sacs) you can flow a max of 500 gpm out of one three inch hose. You should be able to fill your tank in under a minute.

One more thing.... Make sure you use an inline filter. I have flushed hydrants while working my fire dept job and have seen the nasty stuff that comes out. The more g.p.m. you move, the more stuff gets stirred up from the main. Mainly rust. At low volumes such as house use or a "garden" hose it is barely noticeable. Just my .02. :)

I have about 10,000 feet of all different sizes. I have 2 inch, 5 inch.. all for sale, they were taken out of services for age, but will last you years.. I had them on ebay, but were selling by the pallet. I'll sell individually now if you want.

One more thing.... Make sure you use an inline filter. I have flushed hydrants while working my fire dept job and have seen the nasty stuff that comes out. The more g.p.m. you move, the more stuff gets stirred up from the main. Mainly rust. At low volumes such as house use or a "garden" hose it is barely noticeable. Just my .02. :)

You just have to let them run for a bit and they are clean.