Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

I am so ready for a vacation

Question

It is vacation time. Unlike many of you my season is year round and I have done many 80 hour weeks in the past three months. So what are we doing?

Next week we are off to Washington D.C. with my wife and four kids. The oldest is 15 and the youngest is 6. Just about the right age I think. Staying in Alexandria and touring around. The way we have it scheduled is pretty tight, but that is the way I like to vacation, work hard, and play hard. We are actually staying in Alexandria, Va. in an apartment building that was converted to a hotel. We will have enough beds for every body. That is unusual when there are 6 of you.

On the 31st it is off to San Diego for a week. Laying around on the beach and looking at the silicone walking by. (I look at the silicone, my wife gets mad)

I usually come home for 2 or 3 days in the middle of that week so that they can get soem heavy duty laying around done.

Like I said, I am so ready for a vacation!!!

Scott Stone

6 answers to this question

Hey Scott,

You and the family are welcome to visit if you like. Come hang out on the deck, and we'll fire up the grill if your schedule allows. If not, hope you have wonderful weather and a great time.

Beth

I am pretty sure that we are totally booked up for the trip, besides, I have two teenage boys. I would not expect anyone to have to feed them. Thanks for the offer. So beth, being from the area, do you have any suggestions for must see and do's that are not the typical stuff? Just curious.

Scott

If you are staying in Alexandria check out the shops and restaurants in Old Town. If you feel like venturing south, you can catch a vinyard in Orange Virginia. There are some good B&B's there too. If you are doing the museum thing don't miss the Air & Space museum. It's great. See one of the movies there. If you like crabs, drive out to the inner harbor in Baltimore and eat on the water, maybe even see the aquarium while there.

Don't hang out in DC at night. Do eat dinner in Bethesda, Md. Take the Metro. There is an area of Bethesda called Woodmont triangle. More restaurants than you can shake a stick at. The only place to hang out in DC at night is Georgetown, but the kids will be too young to get in to anything except restaurants. (lots of night life there)

Have a blast.

We are planning to do the mall th first night there. I have a niece that lives there and works for the FBI, and her husband works for one of the news shows. Most of what we want to do is a drive by on most of the monuments and get out at teh Lincoln Memorial and Korean War Monument. We might drop down to the WWII memorial while we are in that neck of the woods.

Air and Space is definitely on my list. Even if I have to kidnap just a couple of the kids and go.

Thanks,

Scott

I just went to DC back in March with my son's 8th grade. Tons of things to do, you could spend two weeks and not see every thing. The Air & Space museum is cool, and so was the Living History museum, which has an excellent dinosaur exhibit. The Spy museum was fun too. Parking is a pain, but admission into the Smithsonian museums is free, unless you want to donate a couple bucks. Shopping at the Old Post Office is available, and there is sometimes entertainment inside as well.

Check out Arlington cemetary for the soldier change every 30 minutes. Our school got to present a wreath for the monument, that lasted for a full half hour, it was neat.

Baltimore is really fun too, the inner Harbor has a Hard Rock Cafe, and an ESPN SportsZone, which your boys would love. Your wife will love the shopping, there's a nice mall right across from the places I mentioned, and don't forget to check out the Fudge factory where the workers sing for you while making fudge.