Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Ready Seal

Question

22 answers to this question

Thanks Dale,

About reapplying it in later years....Does it have to be stripped (HD-80) or cleaned (EFC-38) if the same color is going on?

For some reason I am getting decks, something I did not want to do....but it might be what pays.

Regarding 1 or 2 coats....it depends on the species and condition of the wood. For example, new cedar will not accept two coats, nor will some redwood.

If you clean a deck that was sealed with RS, you will likely only need one coat.

If the deck is stripped, or is old and weather beaten, then two coats is a must.

Regarding 1 or 2 coats....it depends on the species and condition of the wood. For example, new cedar will not accept two coats, nor will some redwood.

If you clean a deck that was sealed with RS, you will likely only need one coat.

If the deck is stripped, or is old and weather beaten, then two coats is a must.

Steve,

I was assuming the above for your question.

If you are reapplying the same color use efc-38 and a light coat of RS is all yuo should need. If you think the color will darken to much you can always mix 50/50 of the color and there clear together.

On PT lumber its how much oil the wood can take for the max result. Other woods same thing but that amonts to lite cote 's or one heavy. Im doing a cedar now I did one cote sunday going back now to do another very lite cote. It's how much oil the wood will except without forming a film or skin.

Thanks Rod,

I guess it's play it by ear depending upon the wood, the amount of stain applied, and how it looks after the first coat.

Guest Bill Owens

If you don't use a stripper when cleaning a deck that was previously sealed with Ready Seal, you really only need one coat to replace what washes away. I've done this dozens of times and always get great looking results.

Bill is probably right when it comes to just cleaning and reapplying.

I've had the same success with other products we use in relation to reapplying.

Otherwise, you are definately looking at 2 coats ( perhaps 3 or more in some situations)

Rod~

how many years does RS last before you should have to clean and apply stain again? thanks

I am getting just about two seasons on horizontals and up to 4 seasons on verticles. As with all sealers, it all depends on exposure to the elements if the application was right to begin with.

reed

Reed,

Any idea why? I had a 1 year old cedar deck that I did this spring that I thought would take 5 gallons of rs. It only would take about 3 (small deck). Its allready fading on the color but its still repelling water. The deck looked awesome after it was done and the customer was happy. Now he is concerned because the look is still not there.

BTW- I applied 2 coats. On the second coat it would not take that much. Like it was full and saying no thank-you on more sealer.:)

On new cedar the oil goes in and the color stays on top. So it washes away. Depending on what type of cedar it takes a year or two sometimes for it to penitrate correctly. I have one cedar deck that took four years to take oil and color. 2 by 8 no knots..........

Cedar tends to be a very problematic wood.

Its too soft to be useful as decking material, but works fine for rail systems.

I have found that the wood fibers have compacted after foot traffic use and dont absorb or hold color well for any product after being subject to this casual use!

It may soak up the oil, but since the substrate is so easily damaged and compressed under normal walking weight, the best way to get optimal performance out of it is to basically sand it and reseal on top of the regular wash.

Either way, prepare the customer to have it done annually!

Cedar should be used for indoor furniture and closet lining in my opinion, not decks.

Rod~

Are you guys charging per coat or one charge per seal?

When I use Ready Seal I include 2 coats in the bid. Since Ready Seal is soooooo easy to use the price is the same as if I was using a onecoat product.

Dale,

What you're experiencing is typical of new cedar. The pores are very tight and it doesn't allow good sealer penetration.

After 12 months, give it a good wash, and restain. Then you'll see the wood suck up the stain much better, which is a key for longevity.

Funny thing is I never had a problem using Cabots or at the time I used it Cuprinols (now Deckscapes).

I have told the customer I will come out in the spring and do a light wash and maintenance coat on the deck. He seemed happy with that.