Sign in to follow this  
Little Buddy

Stripping Paint?

Question

Just got another estimate request, let me know what you think...

Hi Joe,

I appreciate the response. I've attached a few photos of the deck, and the condition of the paint. It is very flaky as you can tell. I snapped photos of some of the rougher parts although there are some areas where all the paint is in tact. We powerwashed it with our air compressor when we moved in, but this is still what it looks like.

The compressor is not a commercial grade by any means.

The deck is 12x12 or so and has two bench seats on it. Ideally, we'd like the picnic table stripped as well.

Thanks for taking a look. If you have any local references, please let me know.

Based on that, let me know what you think...

post-5574-137772313211_thumb.jpg

post-5574-137772313513_thumb.jpg

post-5574-137772313515_thumb.jpg

post-5574-137772313518_thumb.jpg

post-5574-137772313521_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

I wouldn't try to strip that at all. Wash and re-coat with solid acrylic.

My advise would be similiar. The time it would take us to strip that deck all the way down is way to time consuming and they will not pay you for all that time on most cases. I always tell people once there deck or house is a solid color you can always change that color but most likely you will forever have to stick with a solid color if "We are to do that job".. I gave up on stripping solid color stains years ago because the stripping and sanding and sanding and sanding just took way to much time and most times I never got it all out. Today I am no longer trying to be the Michael Angelo of staining. I want people to get a great job which they do when we do it but I also want to make top dollar and the days of being married to a job when in the end it hardly paid for what it was worth.....are gone for me and my business.

I was feeling the same way. I figured out a high price for stripping solid stain then doubled it and gave it as a ballpark figure. If i get the job, which i wont, i will be getting paid for the labor. Thanks for the advice.

We would offer to sand all horizontal surfaces, then apply nice colored oil stain on horizontals, and refresh verticals with another coat of solid acrylic. It's more expensive, then regular restoration, but we have few HO's pretty happy with such projects.

so do you even use strippers on paint jobs? Just use the sander? I was coming up with a number around $455 with the numbers she gave for a regular restoration. Would you tack on addition 20-30% for the sanding?

Thanks, JL

Like I mentioned before, I wouldn't touch that deck unless it was a solid re-coat. Even if you sand every inch (which would be a royal PITA), you'll still have areas of green showing up. You will probably get the job, and have to learn the hard way. I took on solid stain restorations for a couple of years, but learned that they we're a huge waste of time and energy. Now its re-coat with solid, or bye-bye.

If I ever need to strip some solid stuff I use Jasco gel stripper. About $30 per gallon at HD or Lowes. Brush it on and wait. The stuff works very well.