Sign in to follow this  
Jerry B.

One time Wood Stain - 7 year warranty -

Question

7 answers to this question

Yeah, used about 80 gals of it. Contractor price used to be 75 a gal. Retail was 85 to 95 gal off the shelf. I bought it direct from Bonds dist. when I was using it. Might have been cheaper, not sure. I've still got two unopened fives in my buliding. Not sure how the VOCs have changed it, but it's some tough stuff. Motor oil consistency, noxious fumes, burns the skin. Got some old fives used up and the stuff never dries up in the bucket. I have stripped it once. Will strip with a strong mix.

I posted on here a few years back about it. Some said it was a petrification agent. Some said the same Beth said. My experience with it was that it does last on PT pine for several years. If it ever cures on covered areas it stays and it smells for a long time. On sun exposure it turns dark. It's hard to work with since it's thick. It spreads well, but you will still apply like normal because it spreads slowly. Penetration is good. Smell, irritation to skin and eyes and cost is prohibitive.

A local company ordered a ton of it and found it dry in the cans. I thought maybe the VOC stuff had made them change. Don't know.

From an aesthetic standpoint it doesn't do anything more than thompsons would. My local guy sealed a huge playset in his backyard with it and by the next season it was already turning grey. They had since come out with pigments you could add in (clove brown and one other color) but that was additional money as well. The nature of the product was somewhat interesting to me though. If you pour some into a clear pop bottle and set it out in the sun it would cure into a solid plastic like mass that was pretty dense. In order to cure properly though it required UV was my understanding a shaded deck could pose an issue.