Sign in to follow this  
billyrayscottjr

has anyone used gulf synthetic UDF-21

Question

I have a very high client wanting this product its is almost 400 sq i quoted him at 1950.00 then another 300.00 for stripping old paint off my question is will this product last at least 7 yrs (i would like to garuntee this to him) and how much will this product really cover it says 200 sq. but im going to order 3 buckets just in case.any info would be great new to this product

13 answers to this question

Hi,

We have used UDF-21 and UCF-21 in several projects. Are our clients happy? Yes and no.

For the cost, its a loser.

My clients want to know what is in it.... they do not disclose.

If it has crystilline silica in it, its toxic.

We have a deck that the owner drug his hose across. The UDF coating came off at the edges of his deck. This was within the first couple of months after it was treated with UDF. Not good.

Aspecto Coat performs in a similar fashion to that of UDF. It fills voids and cracks, it turns a beat up board into something that resembles a composite board. The mfg. has no problem telling what is in it. (NO crystilline silica). We have coated pool decks, wrap around porches at special events facilities, docks, etc. The stuff works great, sets up like concrete and allows the applicator to have a solution which can be color matched to their clients needs. We love it and continue to use it.

The best part is the cost of Aspecto-coat. Only $149 delivered per kit. We get up to 300 sq ft of coating out of a kit. Therefore it is less to buy and goes further. We know what is in it and our customers have more peace of mind with it being applied.

Check out www.aspecto-coat.com

It's really worth trying it on your projects.

(i would like to garuntee this to him)

Let me ask the most pertinent questions here:

1. are you the manufacturer? obviously, the answer will be no.

2. why would you want to guarantee something you don't make yourself. You are only an applicator.

3. do you understand the implications if it doesn't last 7 years? ie how to maintain it (if it is maintainable), or even more importantly; how difficult will it be to strip it if it can't be maintained for whatever reason?

4. what the cost(s) would be to do such a job if the product failed before the term of the guarantee is up?

5. does the manufacturer offer such a guarantee and if so, does it apply if someone other than the homeowner applies it?

6. will that company still have that specific color available 7 years from now? or...will they even be able to sell the same formula if the voc laws in that region change? and furthermore, will that new formula be compatible with the old for maintenance purposes?

Food for thought.

Rod!~

We have seen this product demonstrated (at the Georgia RT this year). It's interesting. What I have HEARD, is that the guys that started it have since left Gulf Synthetics and are with another company. FWIW, Roger will be working with another contractor installing the "new and improved - and possibly renamed" product next weekend. If the other contractor wishes to pipe up, he does come to this forum - otherwise, we'll provide our experience on it afterward.

Celeste

We have used this additive over 100 times and make great money utilizing a cost comparison against TREX. Normally our high end clients want to get a composite retro-fit for their deck but don't want to spend the money. We sell this product application (UDF-21) and not only receive awesome sales support from their people but have seriously 110% customer satisfaction. I put it on my own deck and if applied properly is indestructible. if a hose chipped the coating, you didn't put in on correctly. I had two civil engineering buddies that tested the strength rating on a test board we did and it increased 50% on a measured load bearing beam. Our company specializes in high end residential in Atlanta and our customers demand the best. We put this product through serious scrutiny before recommending it and we make a serious premium on application. We love the product and use all of the additives they sell. We just applied a UCF coating on a national restaurant chain sidewalk and they are so happy that they are thinking about rolling this out nationwide. I know this sounds like i work for them but i really love the products and the fees for application have put my son through college.

Thanks,

Seth

Paragon Painting Atlanta - "Combining Excellence with Integrity."

The UDF-30 interested me for possible use on a couple of restaurant patios after Paragon mentioned it above. I ran across this blog post that probably should be thrown into the mix for considering product choice. I'll continue doing some research as I am always looking for niche products.

UDF-21, UCF-30, 21POLYPLUS, & POLYMATRx News « Jeff’s Blog

Hi,

We have used UDF-21 and UCF-21 in several projects. Are our clients happy? Yes and no.

For the cost, its a loser.

My clients want to know what is in it.... they do not disclose.

If it has crystilline silica in it, its toxic.

We have a deck that the owner drug his hose across. The UDF coating came off at the edges of his deck. This was within the first couple of months after it was treated with UDF. Not good.

Aspecto Coat performs in a similar fashion to that of UDF. It fills voids and cracks, it turns a beat up board into something that resembles a composite board. The mfg. has no problem telling what is in it. (NO crystilline silica). We have coated pool decks, wrap around porches at special events facilities, docks, etc. The stuff works great, sets up like concrete and allows the applicator to have a solution which can be color matched to their clients needs. We love it and continue to use it.

The best part is the cost of Aspecto-coat. Only $149 delivered per kit. We get up to 300 sq ft of coating out of a kit. Therefore it is less to buy and goes further. We know what is in it and our customers have more peace of mind with it being applied.

Check out www.aspecto-coat.com

It's really worth trying it on your projects.

Just got to say your math is in question. $200 covers 400 SF of UCF-21 vs the one you mention at $150 covering 300 SF. So if you cover 1200 SF it costs $600 (3@200) for UCF-21 and the alternative costs $600 (4@150) so no difference in price for coverage. But if one performs better then that may be the difference.

Just a follow up. We did recently have a few issues with the last application of udf-21 now called deck revive. We had weird blue streaks appearing when we rolled it out. This was not a small deck project. I called up Mitch the owner and sent him a few pictures. He said he had an issue with their supplier and that batch wasn't blending properly. He refunded the cost of the materials, replaced them and paid for the labor to re-apply. The second batch worked perfect.The homeowner got two extra layers of the coating for free. My team got an extra week of work and we have done three more since with no issues. So in three years we had one issue and they stepped up to handle. In addition to that I heard rumors about their chemist moving shop. Doing my due diligence i called that company to send some sample so I could try them out. They assured me it was in the mail and never delivered. I called them three times and they kept sending me to voicemail. The next job I had Mitch met me near my house with a few kits out of the back of his truck to get it completed on time.

www.paragon-paint.com

Edited by ParagonAtlanta
stuff