Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

stripper and sealer for brick

Question

failed finish on brick. I don't know much about brick or concrete sealers so I need help. Screened back porch with brick floor. previous owner put some kind of sealer/finish on the brick which is now failing. New owner says it was applied shortly before they moved in 9 months ago. The sealer/finsh is a thick and shinny coating on the brick. What product would you recommend using to remove this finish and what product would you recomnend using to reseal.

7 answers to this question

pictures would help with this problem....what chems have you tried on a test spot...its hard to say sometimes off the top of your head....it could be varnis....check out vseal if you manage to clean it.

Rod,

What do you mean when you say hang on to the side?

Anybody else think it might be acrylic?

what kind of solvent would efective?

A popular ingredient in sealer strippers is methylene chloride. Jasco's Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover has that and a few others such as acetone and toluene.

Most floor waxes are acrylic and can be removed with a sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide based stripper. Do you have any HD-80 on hand and maybe some of the booster if it gives you any trouble. Since you say it is failing, it will probably give up real easy. If it needs to be thick as Rod says, then throw some hang time in there as well.

Alan,

Thanks for the info. Although I sure it is not a wax finish its more like a shinny lacquer finish. It is coming up pretty bad in certain areas and with good reason. The guy who owned the house before did it him self and when you look at the floor closely you can see dirt and mildew underneath the finish. Terrible job he did. I think he just wanted to make it look good long enough to sell it.

Thanks to everyone who have replied with help so far.