Sign in to follow this  
Medic442

sorry, another startup question

Question

I have been reading this message board for some time before I joined. I have digested a lot of information. I have been thinking about starting a power washing business. It seems that it is the perfect business with low start up cost, low overhead, and potentially a lot of jobs out there. However, when I started looking into it I must admit I thought it was just “wash on wash off” theory. Gee was I wrong! There is a lot of knowledge to acquire.

I like the thought of the low start up cost. Due to a recent bankruptcy

(Thank you Blue cross and Blue shield and your “preexisting clause that you never told anybody about”) I do not have a lot of startup capitol. I do have some credit cards to buy equipment and the drive to make it work. Can anybody tell me how much can be made on a part-time basis.I know there are a lot of variables to consider. Just looking for a ball park on $$$ that can be made. Where can I get all the information on chemicals, equipment, and procedures? I think I would like to stick with decks, house washing, and maybe driveways. Where is the best place to buy chemicals and equipment??

I live in St. Louis and do not and will not “low ball”. I just want too be able to compete and dig myself out of this financial hole I seem to be in.

Thanks for the help

14 answers to this question

hi...not sure of your name but welcome to the board.....what you ask cannot be answered with a few lines here, but if you use the search on here you will get a lot of info and a lot of questions....do you know which part of the p\washing biz you want to get into ?......you can be the best p\w in your area but if you have no work coming in how do you pay your c\cards off....can you knock on a door and sell a p\w service to the customer who opens the door ???....sell 5 jobs and hire the equimpment that you need to do the job.......if you think there is a big demand pick 10 of the worst houses you can find and try to sell them a job....i think you will find they like thier houses the way they are.

whoever told you that this is a low cost entry level biz is talking out of thier rear end....have read of this link by someone that knows the biz inside out... http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2034&highlight=cody

paul.

Just a little of my experience....

I thought it would be relatively inexpensive to do residential work. Spent $1000 on a machine and about $200 on some extra hose and found out that that alone was worthless. The "big" guys with the good toys and the professional looking equipment will spend upwards of $5000 on their units (for hot water stuff). The goodies like the Xjet, surface cleaner, ladders, sprayers, pumps, additional low pressure source hose, and extension wands are absolutely necessary to really make any money and can cost more than the unit itself. And a trailer to haul everything.

Then there is the knowledge that comes from doing the work. And above all of the toys comes the chemicals. They are (now I know this) the most important part of your arsenal.

BUT, you can get started with around $1800 (not including the trailer) and make your money back quickly. Don't get discouraged by your initial difficulties, and take full use of the vast bank of knowledge on this site. We are all (I assume) willing to help out with questions, and I will be glad to offer any help I can as I started out on a tight budget with the idea that I could do it cheap and it would be easy. It's not cheap, it's not exactly easy, BUT it is rewarding and you can make good money with it as your experience and tools grow.

Good luck, and welcome.

Ryan H.

I have been reading this message board for some time before I joined. I have digested a lot of information. I have been thinking about starting a power washing business. It seems that it is the perfect business with low start up cost, low overhead, and potentially a lot of jobs out there.
Byron,

Welcome to The Grime Scene,

Potentially there is alot of jobs, if you can sell your service. You will come to find that the people that need your service may have never heard of pressure cleaning and therefore feel that they don't need you. Whoever told you this is a low cost business lied to to you, sorry but I only speak the truth.

However, when I started looking into it I must admit I thought it was just “wash on wash off” theory. Gee was I wrong! There is a lot of knowledge to acquire.
I am glad to see you have been reading and found this out now instead of later. Some things can be cleaned with water alone, but most require the use of quality chemicals. The pressure cleaner is mainly used for an accelerated rinsing tool.
I do not have a lot of startup capitol. I do have some credit cards to buy equipment and the drive to make it work. Can anybody tell me how much can be made on a part-time basis.I know there are a lot of variables to consider. Just looking for a ball park on $$$ that can be made.
Not to be nosey, but how much money do you have? Unless you can find a used machine, and trust the person selling it, then you will spend a minimum of a grand on a decent machine. That is just the machine, and you will need various spare parts, attachments and such. Insurance down payment and a city business license. Cards are a nice thing, as well as some decent looking work clothes.
Where can I get all the information on chemicals, equipment, and procedures? I think I would like to stick with decks, house washing, and maybe driveways. Where is the best place to buy chemicals and equipment??

That would be right here!!!

If you take each question and post it in the forum that pertains to that subject you will get more views and better responses. I broke the stuff up abobe to give you some basic info.

Medic- I live near Columbia, MO and have been doing this for 5 years. If you're ever in the area, I can show you my stuff and explain the basics if you want. I started when I was 17 right out of high school and have been doing it every summer since between college semesters. I spent 1000 on a cold water machine, 300 on a good ladder with auto stabilizers and horns, a hudson, an extendawand (200). I basically just started going door to door, no flyers, no cards no experience except for sites like this and a little help from a guy I know in the business. I didn't have any bills from living to pay, so it was easier for me. It will take a while to accumulate knowledge, experience and confidence in the business that is necessary to sell the bigger jobs, as well as better equipment for those bigger jobs (or even a bunch of little ones). I would say being a salesman is the key. If you can't sell your professionalism and knowledge, you won't go anywhere. I didn't start making real money until really my third year when the learning curve kicked in and I had accumulated the real equipment I invested in that costed me around 6,000 that I made with the little machine. Call me if you're serious about starting up. Nick

Alan,

I think the pressure washing business does have a lower capitol investment requirement as compared to other ground floor business start ups. Every see the money needed to open a franchise? I have a full time job at the present time. I need to supplement my income and need to keep my health insurance.

I have the funds available to me to spend what ever it would take to start the business up. I was thinking realistically between 5-7k. I could be wrong on the start up cost.

I just needed to know was it worth investing now considering the summer is almost over and what type of income is a realistic expectation.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Byron,

I would take Nick up on his offer, as he is only 2 hours from you. As far as investing, I would say invest your time into reading many more posts and get ready to hit it hard in the spring. That 5-7k can go a long way if you use the search function and learn from others mistakes, before you spend any money. Even if you have to get some other job part time while you do some more searching and learning while getting ready for next year.

Buying stuff local is good if you need technical support, but you can save a bundle when ordering online. Make sure to shop around before you make any major purchases.

As far as low cost, a lawn mower, string trimmer and a few gas cans is pretty cheap. So is a hotdog cart.

Medic,

First off, don't start until spring. In MO, you'll have about 2-3 more months this year, and then be off for the winter. Second, pass on the credit card idea. You've bankrupted once (obviously I don't know the circumstances) and I would not want to risk a business failure on credit, since you cannot declare again if need be.

Third, start CHEAP. The biggest deck resto. businesses I know use really cheap equipment. The guys with the most pimped out rigs are usually one man shows or close to it. They want to have to coolest rigs because they take pride in that, and it makes it fun. However, if your interest lies in the bottom line and not from guys staring at your rig on the highway, go low-cost. Three years from now, if you are succeeding, treat yourself to a nice system if you still want it.

You can buy a 3000psi 4gpm cold water (belt driven) for around $1300. HD's are cheaper, but you'll only get a year out of the pump. Buy an xjet, shurflo, hoses, used ladders, and buy your chems in lower volumes. Many will buy large volumes, but right now your interest should be cash flow, not saving $5 on a deck from buying in bulk. Take this winter to scour the boards and buy stuff used. Lots will be going out of biz, and you can get some deals that way.

I would not, however, skimp on appearance, company image. Do it right, the first time. Get a good, solid biz plan, and read "The E-Myth Revisited" and as many other biz related books as you can find. this should be your first priority. Read sales and marketing books. But start w/ "emyth", it is the best book I've ever seen for starting/running/organizing a biz.

Good luck, I grew up in Bourbon, MO, near Sullivan. I know where Lonedell is,

Jon Fife

Starting cheap is fine in some cases, but don't skimp on the things that you will need to grow into such as a trailer or an adequate size truck (if you don't allready have one). I made that mistake when I started by buying a trailer just big enough for what I started out with and now after reinvesting in alot more equipment, my trailer is overflowing. Same with the truck, I bought a truck that was just adequate size to haul my trailer, but now, when I finally get a bigger trailer (which I desperatly need) I will need a bigger truck as well.

Where you should cup your spending is on things that will not effect your job quality, but may increase your completion time, such as hose reals. High pressure hose reals are very handy and can increase speed and effecincy but when your just starting out, your probably going to have more time than you will money to spend on things that are not completely nessesary. once you have enough business coming in where time is more of an issue than invest more in the things that will increase your effecincy which, in turn, will increases your profit.

Point being, what good is there in saving 10 minutes by using hose reels vs. rolling hoses by hand if your only doing one job a day.

Also, plan to budget in a nice chuck of money for marketing and advertising. You can easily spend 3,000 to 5,000$ in the first few months on quality advertising and marketing.

Jon,

Bourbon……I am sorry…. Just kidding…. I like that area down there. But Sullivan… those people are crazy!!! How did you get to Tennessee?

The bankruptcy was because we had our first child and it was cheaper to place her on Bluecross insurance rather than a policy from my employer. Saved about 200.00 a month. She had a problem and the insurance company said her problem was “pre-existing” and they would not pay for a single thing. The hospital and doctors bills added up real quick. The next thing ya know…..just could not keep up. I will take the credit hit for my daughter. (although I thought about selling her on e-bay a time or two but the wife said no..)

I was thinking it was kinda late in the year to be starting. I was thinking it would be in my best interest to get all the equipment over the winter and jump in come spring. I have the truck. 2002 Ram quad 4x4 and the trailer that is used to trailer my tractor when needed. So I am somewhat ahead of the game.

I just need the knowledge and the rest of the stuff to go with it. right now I wish i could get a guide on the chemicals and how to use them.

well thanks for the input.

Medic,

Give me a call I am in St Peters, and can direct you to some places, like here, to get some more info and talk with you about chems, application and MO requirements.

Best to call in the evening. 636-397-2858

Reed

Medic,

Yes, apology's are in order for anyone unlucky enough to come from Bourbon :)

Take Reed up on his offer, he is a true pro and would provide you with invaluable insight. I think Reed probably gets his chems from Russ Cissell in stl, and that is the kind of person you need to get hooked up with. Good products, good prices, and the knowledge to get you going.

CCP was correct, don't skimp on the things that you'll soon grow in to. For instance, you can adaquately clean a deck with a $400, HD 2000psi 2.5 gpm washer. However, that is all you can clean with it. It would be worth the extra to step up to 3000psi, $1300 for an adaquate machine. However, were it me, I would not step up to a $4000, hot machine. Not yet.

Good luck, I hope your daughter is now well,

jon

Medic,

Jon and Reed are right onthe money. You're in good hands with them, and for that matter, we hope you will find that everyone here is interested in helping one another to succeed.

If we can offer any assistance, we are here for you as well.

Beth & Rod

Thanks alot guys... I think I am going to pick all your brains and also call Reed.

I also think I am going to build all my stuff up over the winter and jump in running come spring.

Thanks for all the help, info, and offers!!