Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Acid and Bleach on same vehicle

Does anyone know the actual law regarding transporting bleach and acid on the same trailer/truck? Our trailer has two 25 gallon tanks on the rear - one clearly marked ACID and the other, approximately 18 inches away is our housewash mix, which contains bleach. We were told by a guy who works for a chemical supply house that it is illegal for us to carry both at the same time. If this is so, it poses a pretty nasty problem for us since we do an awful lot of houses that are 3 sides of red Carolina mud covered and brick faced on the front (all new construction by the way). Would this be a question for our state DOT? I hate to start calling around and sending up red flags.

Thanks for any help:dunno:

Celeste

Celeste,

Call DOT and ask without giving the company name.Matter of fact tell them you are trying to get started in the business and were told this was a not allowed and wanted to have all the info before you did something you shouldn't.Not mentioning the company name is not being dishonest,it's just a little smoke and mirrors.....LOL.

Does anyone know the actual law regarding transporting bleach and acid on the same trailer/truck?

Not sure, but I remember reading an article where a guy had put bleach in a container that had acid it it before and blew a 2 ft hole in the roof of the house when he was on his way up the ladder. What a lethal combination they can be fore sure. Be careful.

cool. Any idea what the mix was?

(not cool about the danger and hazard, but as a chemist, I have to say "cool" to any explosion...they're such fun!)

Celeste,

Go to a local truckstop and buy a copy of the Federal Motor Carriers Regulations (FMCR for short) Should run you a few bucks. They should have a glovebox sized version. Or you could probably find a current copy online somewhere to peruse at your liesure..

It will have all the rules and regs from a federal standpoint as to what you can haul and what you can't.. Or stop by the DMV and get a copy of the Haz Mat CDL driving test study guide. It will also have some helpful information. (I have a haz mat endorsement on my CDL, and used to haul some fairly nasty goo around, so I had to study all of this stuff once upon a time)

Haz Mat transport rules and regulations do not generally apply under a certain weight limit, usually 500 pounds.. (there are exceptions when transporting very dangerous stuff) So if you have only a couple of 15 gallon drums, you are usually in fine shape.

At any rate, a current copy of the FMCR will have all the info you can stand to read for awhile..