Sign in to follow this  
RGilliam

Deck Help!

Question

I had a request today to stain a deck. Another contractor had already started to prep it and has not showed back up. They dont want to pay to have me to finish prepping it, just want me to go ahead and stain it. (They had already payed the other contractor). Problem is, all the stain isn't off. Most of it is, they already have several gallons of a solid stain. Will solid stain cover up the old stain? I told them it probaly wouldn't last long and solid is hard to strip back off but she didn't seem to care. Just wants it done. ASAP! :banghead:post-5403-13777233507_thumb.jpg

post-5403-137772335067_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Remember, unless you have this all in writing and signed waiver that they do not hold you liable for the other contractors issues (list the current conditions and missed steps) and the sooner than later failure potential, I for one would not do it. Too much liability there and it could come back to bite you.

Rod!~

Yea, the whole things in pretty bad shape. They said they were actually planning on having a pool put in next year and a new deck built. I do have something in writing to cover me.

The deck is filthy. You can't seal over it, it will fail miserably.

If it were me, I would either do it right, clean, prep then seal or not do the job at all.

Beth

I second that, I wouldn't touch this project

My question to home owner why didn't the other guy come back?

And my next question is "Why did they pay before the job was complete?"