Sign in to follow this  
CentraFlo

Where/how are you guys filling your water tanks

just like it says..

where and how are you guys filling your water tanks? ive seen a hook up that (i assume you get from the city) you connect to a hydrant and it meters how much water you flow through.. or are you guys filling up from your garden house at your house?

any help would be appreciated! just trying to get an idea about how all this trailer stuff works!

-Dave

CentraFlo

We use the water at the job but with a couple machines at 10 gal. a minute it goes fast. So we do try to fill up the tanks every morning and go.

well what if your doing a big HOA job with 130 driveways... you cant fill up your tank and move your hoses at every house, can you? i mean how proffesional is that?

Why not? I do not do any residential stuff. In the only HOA I have belonged to, the HOA paid the water bill. So, I would have a couple of hundred feet of hose and hook at one house, and drive down the street, then hook at the furthest house I could reach and do it again.

Why not? I do not do any residential stuff. In the only HOA I have belonged to, the HOA paid the water bill. So, I would have a couple of hundred feet of hose and hook at one house, and drive down the street, then hook at the furthest house I could reach and do it again.

i see your point.. i thought about that last night.. the HOA probably pays the water bill.. if tahts the case then absolutely..

and about "trailering that much water"............ ? whats the big deal

If the HOA does not pay for the water then a fire hydrant is the way to go. A meter is requested from the county/city and then placed on a hydrant of my choice. In cases where we are allowed to move the meter around its no big deal....in cases where they lock the meter to the hydrant we simply truck it back and forth or sometimes we get lucky and can place strategically so that tethering works.

well what if your doing a big HOA job with 130 driveways... you cant fill up your tank and move your hoses at every house, can you? i mean how proffesional is that?

just finished a condo complex with 250+ units. HOA does not pay water. I took a little sip from every building to keep my 300 gal tank topped off. water in my area is .075 cents per gallon. most homeowners won't ever even notice.

It is a pain because these people think water cost a lot of money when it is penny's. We use the water at the buildings and some times we need to let them know what unit we used so they can give that person something if needed. Everyn year we do about 3-4 town house community jobs were they will pay us to get a 5,000 tank of water and sit it on the property for a week. I charge around 2,000 extra for it and they pay. It will cost around 550. to 600 for the truck and the first fill and about 250 each refill. but it is a pain to keep going back and refill. We use some tricks but it is a pain.

We are under contract to do several condo plazas every other year and we always tap their water, nobody cares. Very rarely do I have anyone ask how much it will cost it water. Just tell them it's less than a few loads of laundry of a couple showers.

I have one customer that I am allowed to use their water, but for every other customer I bring water to site. Every contractor that I know carries water with them to site and fills up at the city bulk water fills.

The one customer that I do take water from I only do if I run out, or they are in a hurry and I don't have time to fill before I get there.

Having a water tank means you can work anytime any where. When the temperature drops up here, outside taps don't exactly work any more. Although in warmer climates I am sure you don't have to worry about that too much.

Just my 2 cents

Benjamin

If the HOA does not pay for the water then a fire hydrant is the way to go. A meter is requested from the county/city and then placed on a hydrant of my choice. In cases where we are allowed to move the meter around its no big deal....in cases where they lock the meter to the hydrant we simply truck it back and forth or sometimes we get lucky and can place strategically so that tethering works.
what is the county charging for those meters and permits.palm beach county im assuming we are talking

Old thread I know but I have a question that somewhat has to do with this topic... As for those houses you guys are allowed to use their water on, what is the highest GPM pressure washer that can be used on a hose bib for city water and also if they are on a well? I am assuming the typical well would be pushing around 5 GPM out of a hose or is that way out of range?

Pretty much I am wondering if I can use the hose outlets on customers homes instead of my tanks but do it without burning up my pressure washer which is pushing 4.5 GPM and soon to have a 5-6 GPM unit. Most customers do not mind using their hose outlet instead of me having to bring a 200 gallon water tank and yes I know some do not thing it's professional to use the customers water but that's a completely different topic/thread.

Thanks for any info!

I haven't had a problem running my 8gpm of a house weather well or city...but running two 8gpm is definitely a no go...you will be fine...you can always look in to reclaim/recycle to reuse some of it on flatwork

Ok great to know thanks! I think to start out I will try NOT to run a tank around unless the homeowner absolutely doesn't want me using their water. I know some people are picky about it and they think that if they are being charged to have their house washed then they should not even have to supply the water but that is rare and those customers will be ones I will not deal with or try not to at least. I do not see it being a problem though.