Sign in to follow this  
celtwheel

What's Up with Wood-Tux?

Question

A recent comer to this forum, I found it researching deck restoration products.

Here is my point & question:

In the 2006 Grime Scene User's Poll "Wood Tux" was second only to "Ready Seal". "Armstrong-Clark" was not even a named choice.

Now, in the 2010 poll, "Armstrong-Clark" is neck and neck with "Ready Seal" for first place, and "Wood Tux" has fallen to a distant seventh place.

Why did "Armstrong-Clark" rise so fast while "Wood Tux" fell? The other brands seem to have roughly kept their places.

Any input on this realignment of product popularity is welcomed. If there already is a thread about this, please direct me to it.

12 answers to this question

From what I heard, Wood Tux used to be pretty much everyones go to stain in the past but then they had some reliability issues from the factory "decks that wouldn't dry, shiny spots, and also decks that turned black". All the problems made everyone look for another go to stain. From what I hear the problems with Wood Tux have been resolved "would like to know for sure from someone that has used Tux lately because I have a couple of maintenance decks to to with it next spring". In my opinion Armstrong Clark is an excellent stain. I've used it the past 2 years and haven't had any trouble with it I just wish they had a color that is between the Semi Cedar and the Cedar toner. Like I said I've only used it for 2 years but it has held up well on the decks I have it on. That's just my 2 cents Im sure others will chime in that have much more experience doing wood restoration.

Kevin, we switched from woodtux 2 years ago to Armstrong Clark.

You are right that until recently no one knew of Armstrong

However if you search for Armstrong Clark on the web or on here you will find a thread I started to gain more information on the product. Armstrong was/is produced in California and was never marketed strongly to the deck restoration indust

ry or to the East Coast much. Once contractors like myself began to inquire about it, Jake Clark of AC was extremely responsive to questions and shipped I would imagine hundreds of pails of free stain for people to try. The confidence he has in the product was incredible and in addition to the excellent performance of the stain was what ultimately sold me on using it on all our jobs.

I guarantee you will love everything about it...and so will your customers!

I've used it the past 2 years and haven't had any trouble with it I just wish they had a color that is between the Semi Cedar and the Cedar toner.

We mix 3:2 (Semi Transparent:Toner) to get something a little lighter.

Rod!~

NateF: did you personally experience any problems with Wood Tux?

I had just gotten into wood restoration 3 years ago so I didn't use too much of it. Only had trouble on 1 deck that didn't dry but that was still a PITA.

We mix 3:2 (Semi Transparent:Toner) to get something a little lighter.

Rod!~

Thanks for the tip. Was actually going to try mixing some next spring. You don't happen to have a pic of a deck you did that was a blend do you? In my opinion the semi trans just seems to get too opaqe or dark on some of the older wood. Im thinkin a blend is the way to go.

Actually, we use the Cedar S.T. on older wood and the mix on newer wood. The coverage on older wood gives better protection and durability in addition to a better appearance IMO.

That's the sell for neighbors...taking someone else's crappy looking deck and making it look almost new.

We get a number of customers calling who saw what we did to their neighbors deck and say "I want mine to look just like that!"

Take it for what it's worth, as long as the customer is happy.

btw, our photo gallery is stocked with photos of the mix dated last year. We didn't necessarily specify the mix ratio but it was used in many applications.

Rod!~