Sign in to follow this  
andye629

deck stain

Question

i am curious as to what people think are the top 3 stains and the worst 3. this is in reference to deck stain. what 3 do you like the best and what 3 would you not use and why? thanks

13 answers to this question

Hmmm. lemme put top 3, 1) wood tux 2) SW deckscapes 3)Cabot

bottom 3 1)Thompsons 2)Flood CWF 3)Behr

My experience with wood tux is limited to a few decks, but they look awesome and should last based on what's in it. The bottom three might give you one good season, then start looking like crap soon after. They all might look good initially, but durability is a huge issue.

Readyseal is supposed to be good, but I can't find a dealer around here so I can't rate it from experience.

Each brand may have products that I have not used that are better than the ones I have. I like wood tux for its looks better than any of them though. These ratings are all based on the semi-transparent finishes.

Nick

I would rate Cabots, Benjamin Moore and Superdecking as the best stains that I use.

The worst would be Behr's by far followed by CWF and.....Solid stains...

andye629,

If this thread is posted because of the comments made on this thread you posted on, http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2279 , please feel free to call me or any of the others who volunteer to chat and discuss products and talk shop. I would be glad to speak with you. I am already starting to see a pattern here.

ITs simple oils are the best for preservation of wood and maint. Films only keep water out. If I was a filmer I wood use Thomsons because you can maint. it easier than all the other films and it does the same thing. The thing about films is the longer it last the harder it is to get off. TWP- RS-ABR These product preserve wood.

I did a google search and found your website. My situation is I used Flood CWF UV last year on a brand new 5/4 x 6 cedar deck. My customer notified me that there small sections where the deck is peeling. What I do to resolve this issue. The can said to use a stain stripper or dekswood cleaner. As I see in your posts the product is junk. Can I switch over to a decent product and avoid the same situation?

Any ideas please respond. Thanks

My customer notified me that there small sections where the deck is peeling. What I do to resolve this issue. The can said to use a stain stripper or dekswood cleaner. As I see in your posts the product is junk. Can I switch over to a decent product and avoid the same situation?

Strip the deck and apply a semitransparent penetrating oil finish like Wood Tux.

Beth :groovy:

wood tux readyseal and wooddefender ;what else is there?

The Baker's Gray Away wood seal i use has been around for over 18 years and still growing.I am more known for the brand of stain use than my work itself.Your work will only look as good as the stain you use and it's longevity and reliabilty. :cool:

The Baker's Gray Away wood seal i use has been around for over 18 years and still growing.I am more known for the brand of stain use than my work itself.Your work will only look as good as the stain you use and it's longevity and reliabilty. :cool:

Modesty is good, but please Shane. I think your work as well as your awesome custom color blends are both pretty well known. If nothing else you are the Arbor/Plastic King!

Modesty is good, but please Shane. I think your work as well as your awesome custom color blends are both pretty well known. If nothing else you are the Arbor/Plastic King!

Thanks Ken that was greatly appreciated!! :cool:

If nothing else you are the Arbor/Plastic King!

:lgjump: :banana: