Sign in to follow this  
sturgisjr

One Year Old

Question

I have a deck to do in mid-September which is a one year old structure. Customer wants a 2-tone done and I was wondering if any kind of cleaning was needed. The deck was allowed to weather for a year and has never been stained.

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

I have a deck to do in mid-September which is a one year old structure. Customer wants a 2-tone done and I was wondering if any kind of cleaning was needed. The deck was allowed to weather for a year and has never been stained.

Thanks.

A cleaning with a percab would help remove any graying and mold growth if any.Why was it left to weather?

Beths EFC-38 will do the job for you. Also make sure the customer really wants two-tone deck. Once there is a solid down its pretty much there. It can be removed but it a pita to do that.

When pricing out a two-tone deck make sure you price alot higher than you would a regular deck. There is alot extra work into doing two-tones. They do however look really awesome when they are done.

Thanks.

As stated, A percarb cleaner, but don't forget to follow up with a either citrallic or oxallic afterwards. Why did they let it weather for a year? Don't tell me, let me guess, the deck builder suggested it.

Reed

There is no greying and there is not even a slight of mildew. Yes, like most people up here think, wood should weather a year before applying stain.

Which brings me to the next question: why do people think that and what are the advantages, if any? I hear 2 different opinions but would like to hear from you guys.

Thanks

What kind of wood is it Cedar....PT?

BIGGEST REASON for curing of PT decks is the sealant SOAKING IN to the wood.

Well my last job was a NEW PT deck that was down for 6 months slight greying.It's the new ACQ deck pics i posted yesterday that cleaned up really well with all that green wood.

I can tell you that it could have stayed untreated for another 6 months. why?...Well it took FOREVER for the first coat to soak in and for a 750 sqft deck it only too 3-4 gallons.Second coat was not drying to fast either.

The factors that could quicken the amount of curing time before staining are...constant direct sunlight.... deck goes thru many wet/dry cycles over a few months.I'm speaking mostly about PT decks by the way.

I don't do to many cedar decks here in Tx. Now the cedar arbors i do stain i think 1-2 months is a good time for them to cure.Recomendations from my sealant supplier by the way.

Just my nickel's worth:cool:

New cedar does not absorb stain well, even after a nice efc-38 bath, followed by a brightener. The pores are just too tight. Can't seem to get two coats to fully absorb.

I always find that the second time a cedar deck is restored is the best. I like to let a deck dry for about 30 days before I wash and stain. That's how I prefer, and others will have their preferences too.

Ideally, new cedar should be washed and stained within 30 days, and after 12 months, washed and restained again. The pores of the wood will be more open and allow deeper penetration of the stain.

I do alot of new construction and most of my work is different type's of cedar- After 10 year's of trying different methods of waiting and cleaning- There are no benifits to sealin g cedar right away unless you plan on using a film type sealer- When using a penitrating sealer I use bleach to clean and wait a year before sealing- Using this method I have no problems- Cedar needs to go through many wetting and drying cycle's (weather) and to lose some of its natural oils and resins before they can be replaced.