Sign in to follow this  
mikejjmay

First post, some neub questions

Hi All, first off let me say this is a great site. I have been lurking for a while, just reading up and learning as much as I can from all the experts on here! So thank you!!

I have had a pressure washer for several years now, just a cold water machine, 3000psi, 2.5gpm, nothing fancy at all but it is a commercial (although small) model, so great reliability and performance.

I have used it for the last few year for odds and ends, and always enjoy the work. I would love to start it up as a part time revenue source, and use it to make a little money and keep upgrading my equipment. Not trying to undercut anyone here, or be a low price weekend warrior, I really want to learn, and take alot of pride in my work. The good news is no competition in my area, but that's also bad news because there is no one I can shadow.

Im hoping you all can help with some advice of how I could start small with the machine I have? What are some of the easier services I could perform that the capabilities of my machine could handle? I am just wanting to start out simple, because i realize I have much to learn and there is some money that needs to be earned before I could upgrade to a 4+ gpm hot water machine. any advice on what area of pressure washing you feel would be great for a newb and a smaller machine would be much appreciated. Thanks much everyone! Looking forward to learning more!

Welcome to TGS. Glad you decided to post. We do love our lurkers, but it's nice to see posting and hear from our readers who find the contributions to be of value. A bit of housekeeping...please fill in your signature in your Settings area.

Based on what you have described, you can wash houses, decks, and so forth, and do flat work although you would probably want a surface cleaner if you plan to do lots of flatwork.

Beth

I agree with Beth with lower flow rates like that you are really limited to residential work. If you do get a surface cleaner you will want one with wheels and probably no larger than 16" (for that machine) when you step up to 4-6 gpm then start looking at the 18-24 in cleaners.

Good luck mike keep reading and researching, this site and bobs and rons have sooooo much to offer. oh and I would seriously try and find at least a 4 gpm machine. Its gonna take you forever to wash just about anything with what you have.

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone! Yea, i most definitely will just be starting with residential siding and roofs til I can build up a bankroll to upgrade equipment. I have been reading so much here, and learning a ton, and still have some questions. If you feel like helping out the new guy some more, check my other post out about chem mintures and applicaiton for resi.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/residential-pressure-washing/20947-been-reading-have-some.html

Thanks all!