Sign in to follow this  
extremeclean

Job Lead for St. Augustine, FL 32084 Bidding ENDS SOON!

What do you mean you have to know someone?
I mean you have no idea what their plans are...so you better have an insider to find out... They guaranteed no volume at all and you could be doing roof cleaning and graffiti removal by the square ft 10 sq ft by job grossing 10 dollars a day covering up door locks for a half hour per job when they are done with you....And that's only the start....You have to use their approved chemicals whatever that means...

I was just interested in what a school bid would look like....when a contract is written so unilaterally it really becomes a zero sum game for all parties.

I taught for a year and reading it just made the idiocy of the system come back to haunt me...

A fine example of the elite, and the disrespect they show for those who work with there hands. Obviously, there was no effort to talk to anyone in the trade before writing that set of specs.

Do you happen to know what any of the bids were (and what companies bid)? It should be published next Friday or Monday at the latest on the county website. I know of 3 bids: 4.0 cents/s.f., 4.9 cents/s.f. and 5.7 cents/s.f. I would be willing to bet that more than 25 companies actually bid on it.

The St. Johns county school contract which was done for 6.0 cents per s.f. for many years and then 4.9 cents per s.f. for the last two years will now be done for only 2.5 cents per s.f. for the next 3 years. This price includes all hot water cleaning and the use of any cleaning chemicals, and at these higher fuel price levels. This also includes any lift rentals which the contractor must lease on his own and any roof cleaning. The thing about this situation is that the high schools are the only ones that clean some sidewalks annually, where the middle and elementary school clean every 2 or 3 years (over half of middle and elementary schools clean by internal employees). On top of that, the county only pays via credit card (rewards card) that will likely take 4.19% right off the top plus monthly C.C. fees of $10-$20. A lot of the jobs are small too (less than $300) and include things that the school employees can't do, higher walls, tall ceilings to remove spider webs, etc.

I expected a bid or two around 3.5 to 4.0 cents per s.f. during these times, but was quite surprised that the four lowest bidders (and ones that will be able to do this work going forward) were 2.5. 3.0, 4.0 and 4.7 cents per s.f. Since I was the contractor that held this contract for last two years (and still have it until May 12th with 4 larger projects coming up) and was able to get 4.9 cents per s.f. during this period, I know first hand about this contract. There were 3 smaller jobs that I just broke even on, especially after including the time and fuel used to complete a measurement estimate (it took me half a day to measure Nease high school and it ended up going to one of the other contractors who turned in far less s.f.). All the schools know the measurement but won't tell you (but will if your measurement turned in has more s.f. than the school’s areas to be cleaned actually has). Good luck as I hope the two lowest bidders (which will be estimating against each other) can make it work for them.

Actually it was done for 8 - 12 cents a Sq Ft for many years then a low ball came in at 6 & hosed the few that had been doing it for many years. That seems to be the general trend as of late , pathetic really. Good Luck @ 2.5 !

I helped David last year on 3 or 4 of the larger schools. In my opinion there is no money to be made at less than 5 cent a S.F.

Under stand these cleanings are done at the most once a year. two of the schools had not been cleaned in three years ( it looked more like 5 years)

With the fuel prices rising I was worried that I would "win" the bid at 5.7 cents.

Good luck at 4, 3 and 2.5 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!