Sign in to follow this  
MaineWindowCleaning

Roof Washing ( What equipment do I need to do this efficiently?)

Question

19 answers to this question

Bob does have some cost effecive introductory setups that you can get started with. Just depends on how many roofs you want to do a week. The more you do the better the equipment you might want to look at, (ie... air pumps, larger tanks, etc...)

What is the best bidding method for the roof washing?

Degree of difficulty and number of passes required.

(I started out gung ho roof cleaning and am now extremely selective. )

I no longer recommend the All-Flo. Might try another air diaphragm pump.

QUOTE]

Sq footage will fall into large groups, up to 1500, 1500 to 2500, 2500 plus and so on... You can calculate sq ft if you want and just do a cost per sq. Its harder to keep the landscaping alive than it is to clean the roof.

Ok. So I'm reading that the greenery must be protected by wetting it down or tarps or both? I have a home that has 7500 square ft. very difficult to get to from the back. Lots of ladder work. I'm not sure if I want to venture forth with this roof?? I'm brave and like a challenge... but I'm questioning myself here.

QUOTE]

. Its harder to keep the landscaping alive than it is to clean the roof.

There's a lot of truth in that!

Ken, a roof that large will require a significant amount of chemical, I don't know how much area x gallons of roof cleaner will cover as I don't do roofs, but you may need to make several trips to refill your SH. Figure out how much it will take to do a small roof (test on your own home) and measure up from there.

Ok. So I'm reading that the greenery must be protected by wetting it down or tarps or both? I have a home that has 7500 square ft. very difficult to get to from the back. Lots of ladder work. I'm not sure if I want to venture forth with this roof?? I'm brave and like a challenge... but I'm questioning myself here.

What pitch is the roof, is it walkable, are there gutters and down spouts to bag or will the mix run off onto the greenery? These are all things to take into consideration when bidding a job. Set-up takes time.

Blasting your mixture on the roof is the easy part and capturing it as it drains from the gutters isn't rocket science but it can get a little tricky. The part I'm always most careful with is the overspray when sprayinng the edges of the roof or the peaks. Careful with the peaks because that chemical will go sailing right over the other side of the house and land right on the ______________. Fill in the blank with grass, deck, restored 1965 Jaguar XKE, or award winning roses imported from the remote island if Tisjajik.

One other thing... If you are walking on the roof you will get the SH mix on the bottom of your boots. Be careful when you step off that ladder and onto the grass because it will burn the grass. You will see burned bootprints on the grass.

Blasting your mixture on the roof is the easy part and capturing it as it drains from the gutters isn't rocket science but it can get a little tricky. The part I'm always most careful with is the overspray when sprayinng the edges of the roof or the peaks. Careful with the peaks because that chemical will go sailing right over the other side of the house and land right on the ______________. Fill in the blank with grass, deck, restored 1965 Jaguar XKE, or award winning roses imported from the remote island if Tisjajik.

Had that happen today, nailed the sky lights on the other side of house and slate walkway .