Sign in to follow this  
Washed Up

Measuring Sq Ft.

Question

Hello boy's & girl's. I was wondering if I can get some input? I asked 3 different friends how they would measure to get the square footage of a home and I got 3 different answer's. 1st was Lenght x Height. 2nd was Lenght x width x Height. 3rd was Lenght x Width. Which method do most of you guy's use? I thought it was Lenght x width x height.

6 answers to this question

Square feet is measured by finding the product of length and heigth (or width), this is your area. Volume, measured in cubics, is the product of length, width and heigth. When measuring the surface area of something, sidewalks for example, multiply the only two dimisions you can see; the length and width. When measuring the volume of an item multiple all three dimensions and answer it as cubic X (inches, centimeters, etc). There will be a short quiz at 3:30 this afternoon that counts as 10 percent of your final grade.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/measure-square-footage1.htm

Square footage is a measurement of area, and area is the measurement of any two-dimensional space contained within a set of lines. Think of it in the sense of a dance floor. Take a moment to imagine a dance floor that is 20 feet by 20 feet (6.09 meters by 6.09 meters). How do we express the area that it takes up? This one is easy, because the dance floor is a square. We simply multiply the width of the floor by the length of the floor, 20 feet times 20 feet equals 400 square feet. Therefore, the total area of the dance floor is 400 square feet (37.2 square meters). The equation is the same for a rectangle [source: MCWDN].

Area of a square or rectangle = Width x Length

It's important to keep in mind that a square foot doesn't necessarily have to be shaped like a square. The dance floor above could be shaped like a triangle and cover the same amount of area. If you were asked to determine the area of a triangle or a circle, the equation would be different, but the concept is the same. Plug in the right numbers and you'll get the right answer. Both equations are listed below.

Area of a triangle = ½ (Base x Height)

Area of a circle = 3.14 x radius2

So we've established that the square in square feet doesn't refer to shape. All measurements of area are expressed in square units -- the standard foot just happens to be the unit used in U.S. real estate.

Read on to find out how to calculate the square footage of a house.

Beth

Areas of triangles used to worry my students at school for several reasons. Square x would start the worries because there wasn't any square in a triangle but mostly it was the formula 1/2 * b * h. Seeing a fraction and doing an operation with a fraction can cause panic in most children and adults. Lastly, how in the world can you multiply something and come out with something less than you started with? The solution was simple. Measure out the triangle as if it was a true square (or rectangle) and cut the answer in half; hence the 1/2 * X. Use tangrams to support the idea that a triangle is always exactly 1/2 the square or rectangle. It is much easier for the kids to understand it this way.

I will talk about chemical compounds and within seconds the questions cease. Sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide etc...The bottom line is that they are concerned about dangers of using chemicals. Who wouldn't be. I agree about proprietary trade secrets which is the reason that I do not continue the discussion.

There will be a short quiz at 3:30 this afternoon that counts as 10 percent of your final grade.

Aw mannnn! I hate pop quizes teach!

I couldn't have answered it better myself though. What Rick2 said! ^

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

I will talk about chemical compounds and within seconds the questions cease. Sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide etc...The bottom line is that they are concerned about dangers of using chemicals. Who wouldn't be. I agree about proprietary trade secrets which is the reason that I do not continue the discussion.

Was this meant as a segway? I don't see the relevance to any of the posts in this thread.

As far as trade secrets, in this industry, they are very rare indeed.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod