Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

Stains to avoid, please give your opinion.

Question

I've got a large deck to clean next week but I normally do not stain or seal decks. The home owner would like to know what brand names he should avoid and what he should consider using. What do you guys and girls think he should avoid and what should he apply? The wood is pine and had plenty of shade. Thanks in advance!

8 answers to this question

Stay away from Behr, Thompsons, Olympic Solids, any Deckscapes semi trans or tran products.

If he is getting it local, TWP (not the new 1500 series) or olympic max toner.

I will pass this advice along. I really don't want to advise him what to buy, just what to stay away from. If I advised him to apply brand XYZ and it failed a year later because it wasn't applied correctly or whatever reason, I'm the one that'll come out looking like the bad guy. I think it's much safer to advise on what product to stay away from.

The guy tried to clean one section himself with a powerwasher... Yikes! It's going to take a little extra time to fix those heavy wand marks. It's a good thing he gave up quickly. :)

Edited by Rick2

Lemme preface by saying this is my opinion, I should have mentioned that earlier of course.

It could be my application method but I didn't care for it Scott. I tried a gallon last year from the lumberyard on some misc PT wood a customer had (bench, shed ramp, planter, and picnic table iirc). I dont know all the technical terms that well but I did have to be careful about lap marks, it took a while to dry well (i do two coats one light, one heavy wet on wet) and maybe it was bad application but it seemed like it flashed quick on the first coat in the hot sun which kept that second coat from getting good penetration and hence slowed down its drying time.

"Stains to avoid,"

Ones that color shift with age and don't match up to the product itself when it is time for maintenance. Most products work well initially but duration and maintainability are the key issues we look at.

Rod!~

Lemme preface by saying this is my opinion, I should have mentioned that earlier of course.

It could be my application method but I didn't care for it Scott. I tried a gallon last year from the lumberyard on some misc PT wood a customer had (bench, shed ramp, planter, and picnic table iirc). I dont know all the technical terms that well but I did have to be careful about lap marks, it took a while to dry well (i do two coats one light, one heavy wet on wet) and maybe it was bad application but it seemed like it flashed quick on the first coat in the hot sun which kept that second coat from getting good penetration and hence slowed down its drying time.

We have had no issues or complaints with the 1500 Series as far as application. Has anyone else tried it yet?