Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Tennis Courts

Question

Hey Gents,

Have any vets cleaned any tennis courts and if so what were the chems you used. I have a estimate to do at a subdivision later on today.

The caller stated that the courts has some mold in areas and had never been cleaned. Any suggestions as to chems and psi to use. Whats a ball park charge? I was leaning more towards $95ph or should I quote by the sqft?

Can I use a surface cleaner and if so what psi would you guys suggest?

What about using my limolene housewash mixture?

A quick response is needed here gents

DeGraffreed wavey.gif

the rookies

11 answers to this question

Haven't done tennis courts but I have done some similar surfaces....they are usually painted surfaces. Some nicer courts will have pigment mixed into the cement. Use relatively low pressure if it's painted....you don't have any oil or tough stuff to worry about so your housewash mixture should work fine. The dirt and grime on surfaces like this I've done in the past have come off VERY easily and made for a quick job. Do it on a hot day with some pre-wetting and a few minutes for your cleaner to work and you should be out of there in no time. If you use a surface cleaner, just raise the deck (if possible) or lower the outlet pressure on your machine (unloader). Watch the lines, too, as they will almost definitely be striped on.

Ryan H.

Thanks for your response Ryan, I did not think it would be to oily but does have some mildew in spots. I probably should not use (sh), might discolor the painted surfaces. What do you think?

DeGraffreed

Hmmm. You (like me) are in GA, which is notoriously humid, suggesting that the mildew/algae spots are from residual water...I've never seen a tennis court other than the Wimbledon type that was perfectly level, and there are usually numerous dips where water can gather and sit. Being that this is a smooth surface, I'd doubt it would be the tough black mold that is nearly impossible to get out without chemicals and hot water. Most likely, a mild bleach solution will be sufficient. Just downstream or Xjet it onto the surface at a final concentration of around 1% - 2%, let it kill the stuff, and rinse off. I haven't had problems with bleach discoloring painted surfaces in low concentration (I have had the outdoor bleach weaken the paint on painted metal, though....but it was my own stuff, so no big deal).

Hey Gents, ladies.

I went out to look at the tennis courts today and here facts.

First tennis court 109x120 mildew not bad. 23 ft from parking lot.

second tennis court 109X120 Downhill approx 188 ft from the first court in wooded area. No access to get my truck and trailer down there may have to park along side the courts via the street and run hose about 300 ft thru the woods to get to the courts. So therefore I may have to purchase 300 additional hose.

This make the well spigot about 300 ft from the trailer now. I know I can add about 400 ft of pressure hose 300 feet of water hose and hoping the well pump put out about 3-5 gal per minute to feed the pwer. 3000 psi 5 gpm.

All walkways adds up to about 1560 sq ft 3 different sections needing cleaned

How would you guys and gals bid this?

I gave him a bid and I hope its not to low or to high. I never bided a job by the square ft and need advice on how much per sq ft to bid on average. I bided about .28ct per sqft. I came home and looked at a few boards and notice bids of about .15ct per sqft.

I gave the HO president the bid and will be checking on him tommorrow.

Help Help Just need figures to see if I am in the ball park range.

Also I am estimating about 10 hours for the job. All the moving of the trailer and truck. hard access to water and courts, wooded lots ect.

Quick response needed

Degraffreed

Rod wants to know if you know what the surface of the court is made of. Can you post a picture? How is the run-off, what's the condition of the striping or paint, and is there a coating on it?

Rod says these factors will come into play with regards to how you should wash.

Also use can use Ryan's suggestion, and you can also use just water, depends on if there is mold, mildew, etc., and how bad the surface is. He has done these several ways.

Beth

Degraffreed,

You can use the surface cleaner,as long as,the surface is intact.We would use our housewash mix on this(citracleen and chlorine,I think the citracleen is along the same lines as limeolene).Less than 3000psi should work(you may need to put larger tips in the surface cleaner to lower your PSI).Do a test patch to see how the surface reacts to the chems and the pressure.You may end up using water only.

If there is peeling paint or surface damage(cracks,damaged texture coating if present)you would be best served recommending to the HOA/Property managment that they have the court resurfaced.

Wow @ $.28 sq ft that will put your bid at $7761 and some change.HOA's are notoriously cheap and they may break and run on that bid(if my math is right,if not please correct me)

We would have bid this around $.13 sq ft.

Thanks to all who responded so quickly.

Squirt, your over on this board also, Huh. Thanks for all the help in previous post.

The condition of the first court is fine, just some mildew stains,spots. The court was resurfaced 5 years ago. Never have been pressure washed.

Beth /Ron the court is painted or coated,not the rubber courts. I did not test for run off but it will be no off site drainage.

Now the second Court is in horrible conditon. I saw about 20 different spots where the coating has peeled off the court and mold and mildew is much heavyer than court one, due to all the trees surrounding it. I was accompanied by th HO president and informed him that I could clean or remove the dirt and mildew and that it was a great chance that the court could continue to peel and I would not be responsible for recoating it. He agreed to being aware of the peeling and suggest the HO would consider recoating it .

Squirt,

I bided $ 3052.00 not to bad for my first quote. I though that $7761.00 would make them run but they have other cleaning projects coming up and I wanted to give a low bid, show them my work in hopes of getting future work. So I came in low on the estimate. I just wanted to see how much I would have to eat.

Courts are not easily accessible ither. So I factored that into the Quoute.

Degraffreed