Sign in to follow this  
ccbos11

Propane soot on aluminum siding

Question

I had a potential customer call me and say that a propane infrared heater byproduct has stained the side of an aluminum sidded building. He hired a company that came, couldnt get it off with brushes and bleach, tried simple green...then bailed. Any suggestions on what to use without hurting the siding? Siding is 1 year old....would a degreaser work?

Clark

www.hilltoppainting.com

5 answers to this question

Ask the H.O. Exactly what the product was, Do some research on it or call the company & find out the best way to go about this. If different chemicals just keep getting doused on the siding it may just do more damage. Just my opinion though. Good Luck

Thats what i was r thinking Russ when i first noticed the post. Propane should burn clean heat is most likely the problem. Go to the place customer bought the siding ask if they got the paint to touch up the spot,this is probably the best option besides replacing.

I agree with Russ, however if you do come across soot on aluminum or vinyl, I have had good luck with Hydrocloric Acid. I like to use the buffered stuff, it is a lot more expensive but safer and more stable than the stuff you can get at you local hardware store. As always do a test spot. At 2 years old you should be fine but aluminum can get chalky quick and you might end up having to acid wash the entire side of the building to blend in one small spot... Just my 2 cents.

May have torched the building. Are u sure its Alum ?Bleach is not going to do anything on a burn , soot stain. Have some acid , degreaser, and sodium hydroxide with you. If it's Alum should be easier to fix and blend.