Sign in to follow this  
PATZPW

Pressure!

Question

I RECENTLY INHERITED A CRAFTSMAN POWER WASHER, IT'S A 4HP 2 GALLON PER MINUTE AND IT'S 1750 PSI, THE WASHER HAS NO ADJUSTMENT TO LOWER THE PRESSURE. ANY TIPS, TRICKS OR ATTACHMENTS I CAN USE? I WAS THINKING OF USING IT FOR SMALL JOBS.:newbie:

P.S CAN WE ADD SPELL CHECK AS ONE THE TOOLS ON THE TOOL BAR? I'M TERRIBLE SOMETIMES. PAT

9 answers to this question

Hold the tip farther from the surface to impart less force on your target area.

Change the tip, that helps...unless you have a fixed-type which is typical of the craftsman units I've seen.

Can you lower the throttle on your engine?

I Really Haven't Played With It That Much, All I Can Tell For Now Is The Tip Is Held On With And Allen Screw And Goes In, Out, Left And Right. Also I Didn't See Any Throttle Adjustment. Thanks Pat

If you're used to a bigger machine, you might find this one severely underpowered. Any psi will work for any job in my experience, it just depends on how much control and experience you have. The bigger machines (at least 11 hp) work best if you're looking to save some time. You could probably pick up a new wand for this machine if it was worth it and use different flow tips. Sam's Club Special for a grand will kick this one's butt. Nick

Changing the engine speed will also decrease the gpm. With 2 gpm you do not have much to clean with if you decrease it.

This unit is a direct drive and the pump takes alot of heat off the engine. If you slow down the engine on an air cooled unit it will run hotter and transfers to the pump. You can actually cook the pump if you ran it too long like this.

The best way to reduce psi on any machine is by changing tips. If you feel this machine will serve a purpose for smaller jobs, then spend the few bucks to make this machine accept different tips like most other machines.

Take off the tip that is allen screwed on and see if there is any threads at the tip of the wand. If so you can just screw on a 1/4" quick coupler and get the needed tips, if not you can either thread it yourself or buy a new wand.

Alan has you on the right track.

It will save you in the end because the more standardized attachments for pressure washer are readily available and less expensive.

Coleman and Karcher units tend to have unique attachments that you can only buy from them. Short sighted in my opinion but like Bill Gates in a way.

I wish I had a nickel for every one of these kinds of machines I have seen in peoples garages and sheds (mostly with other stuff piled on top of them), by now I'd have enough money to buy myself a refill at the 7-11 :)

Dont let this sway you from using it if it can be modified to accept the other attachments. We used little inexpensive 8hp 3gpm 2500 psi machines for the first few years in addition to the more industrial ones added to the arsenal.

Go wash something...its a gratifying thing to see what you can clean with it.

Rod~

SPELL CHECK:

Try writing what you want here in your MS Word or Word Perfect first then spell check there.

Copy and paste and you're done.

I finally got a chance to use the greatly under powered craftsman power washer on Saturday. It's not that bad, but I think I'll just use it to wash of my kids toys. Thanks for everyones input.. Pat

Never underestimate the usefullness of good chemicals.....pressure alone will do little to clean anything other than concrete (and even then chemicals are a good pal to have). A bigger, "better" pressure washer will do the same job as a smaller one, only faster. From what the wood-care experts on this board say, you want very low pressure for washing decks, so something like your unit will be ideal for that (with the proper chems). Also would be good when cleaning vinyl siding, windows, and cars/trucks(this is what mobile detailers use). I don't know if I would want to run out and start doing driveways with it, but there are many other options other than that.