Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

SENT me back in time

Question

Today we were washing a house , deck, and pool fence . This is a 4 peat customer. Their neighbor usually has us do their deck right after theirs. Today a kid was there trying to get off some picnic table redwood stain . He approached me for help. I told him that he was now my competition as that HAD been my customer for the past 2 stain /wash cycles. He didn't know how to get the stain off he started to apply as the homeowner hated it.

Now I was that kid once......Well , maybe not so young when I started. I did what any good business man would do ...I protected my territory and my customer base... Sorry kid ....can't help you take away my customers......I'll wait for the call from MY customer ......Welcome to the big leagues kid!!!! When I was where he was there was no google or internet to youtube any answers....

8 answers to this question

That just happened to me the other day, not losing a customer but had one of my new competitors come ask me what chemicals I use to clean houses with as I was cleaning a house across the street from one that he was cleaning (using a northstar cold water pressure washer 4000 psi with a turbo nozzle) I told him that I could not help him. The Funny part was it took him from the time I got there to set up my washer and get enough water in my tank where the water supply was so slow it took 2 hours so I sat in my truck making calls and watching him, to do the rear of the house by the time he started on the front of the house I was able to get started and was completely finished cleaning the house and deck in under 1 hour, and he was still washing the front of the house when I, rolled up all the hoses & collected the money. But that is how it goes, no one ever helped me that was my competition.

I wouldn't respect him if he agreed to the job with no idea of what he's doing. If he can't even google I wouldn't help him.

If he googled and found the "Dr." guy at the grime scene touting cleaning with HF acid then yeah, I'd help him to save his health, but that just isn't the case...

But maybe if someone had helped me when I started, I would feel like Charlie. But back then, no one had the internet and it didn't take much to be the most knowledgeable in the area, i.e. no one knew much! There is no excuse today.

But if he was a kid who halfway knew what he was doing I'd hire him and teach him chems....

It also makes a difference if:

He is respectful or not.

He is a low-baller or not

He is trying to do a perfesional job

He is legitimate, licensed, bonded,insured, and paying taxes

And does not steal other peoples web content

And does not lie! I.E. claiming to be NFPA certified when NFPA does not and never has certifed any process, or material. Claims NFPA 96 is a federal law

Edited by Douglas Hicks

It also makes a difference if:

He is respectful or not.

He is a low-baller or not

He is trying to do a perfesional job

He is legitimate, licensed, bonded,insured, and paying taxes

+1!!!

Beth

Ran into close to that 2 times within the last month.

We used to do gas stations (havent for like 5 years now). Apparently they are using landscapers to do the work. Around 12 noon the guy has a northstar trailer (prob 5gpm at most) and what looked like a 36" surface cleaner. I had to laugh not at the guy but how slow he was moving. And thinking to myself it will easily take 10 hours to this place. One of my employees was laughing and I asked him why. He said he never knew the comparison of our machines compared to some guy who does it on "just the weekends".

Second story was Thursday night we did a huge shopping center and 2 "island" stores. We were waiting as the tanks were filling up and a truck pulls up. For the life of me I have never seen a powerwasher like this guy had. It had 2 small tank under the engine. Cold water only. He hooks up and starts going at it. We waited 45 minutes probably and went to finish a part of the center. As we were wrapping up the hoses an employee says man we are greatful for you. Confused I asked why he said that. He points and say look. That guy hasnt even moved off the corner yet. (I still have no idea what he was cleaning as we did it all already lol). But to get even funnier is that his "boss" who drove the truck was parked where the employee couldnt see. And he munching down on a hoagie...lol.

I'm all for helping as we all have on this forum but a man has his limits . I went by there today to get an after picture of the staining my son did and that picnic table stain is still there. I'm not training my replacement!!! or my competition.

Thats funny, I will have a guest tomorrow to strip 2 decks, small fence, and a gazebo along with washing the house and driveway. He will also be helping to sand, prep, and stain also. Another paint contractor was doing the interior of one of my customers while I was doing their large deck and was asking a bunch of questions. His primary market was about 30 miles away and didn't normally come out my way so I offered to let him join me on this project that would be closer to him so that he could see how I do it.

I told him as long as we were not direct competition I would be happy to help him. Even if we were bidding on the same projects if I help him offer a higher level of work at higher prices, as long as we were on a level field, I think I would still be able to make the close. I don't know how much I would share if he were right next door though. But, just think if everybody charged atleast as much as you did and put the same amount of work into their service - with the exception of the Walmart syndrome, basic economics says competition can be very positive for both the buyer and the seller.