Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Sic' it to some Sikkens (Removing Cetol Dek)

Question

Did a deck today that was stained with 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol Dek. Starting to peel as it hadn't been done in 3 years. The homeowner had bad experience with the last application and I was able to sell on penetrating product without the shine and film of the Sikkens. Not to mention the application instructions for Sikkens are just not practical IMO...must be dry for 72 hours after staining...I dont think that has EVER happened in North Carolina!

Thanks to those who helped out with advice on this job, you know who you are. We took orbital sanders with 40 grit paper to the railings to scuff up the finish and take off the shine (20 minutes). Then loaded it full strength stripper (Timber Strip Pro) with Alka-Foam and 633AD booster from ACR products. Also added some Potassium Hydroxide flakes to heat it up even more. The alka-foam is awesome by the way...great cling.

Dwell time of about 45-50 minutes, spraying the deck about 3 times to keep everything wet and used about 55 total gallons of stripper. The top coats on the Sikkens melt off almost immediately as they have no adhesion to anything but the previous coating. It was slippery almost immediately. Its that base coat that takes the most time it seems. Temperature was around 85 today, deck was in partial sun.

After scratch test and another final spray of stripper we washed it down and came off very nicely. Boosted stripper like that usually reeks havoc on painted siding but no issue there (just some door trim which we will repaint). Wood gets super black so needs a good strong acid to neutralize.

Pictures are only during the stripping process and after final rinse down (dont have any before shots).

post-2382-137772397335_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772397321_thumb.jpg

post-2382-13777239733_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772397341_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772397347_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigchaz

79 answers to this question

... Very difficult and costly to fix a house. Decks you can talk your way out problems.

So true. As we're starting our 2nd wood house on Thursday, a major screw up would be very costly. 32 yr. old beat up, unmaintained cedar shakes. It will take a ton of oil. Peirce will be smiling as he makes the bank deposit.

This is very funny. Just received an email from a high level Ready Seal employee, who will remain anonymous, as follows:

"I estimate that you will get 25 sq ft per gallon on the shakes. Please order accordingly. Thanks for your support. I have a tuition payment tomorrow. Actually my daughter thanks you.

If you cut it with mineral spirits it will penetrate better and you will use more product."

Take care in what you post. Even small boutique stain manufacturers monitor these web sites. It's a hoot, funny, and a tongue in cheek dig on some of the nonsense posted on these wood boards.

RS employee has a daughter in college eh? Maybe I need to switch to a stain manufacturer owned by someone younger than Jake hahah! Kidding!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

Edited by bigchaz

Hello BigChaz,

Since you have become a terrific customer, I now spike my Geritol with single malt scotch instead of bad whisky. An old fart like me needs something to wash down the breakfast prunes!?! Peirce's time will come eventially, Rick's too! Your are too young to be this upity :)

Jake the Elder