Award yearly for volunteering  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Award yearly for volunteering

• Yes thru an org would be good
    • Yes but thru multiple orgs tied in
    • Yes but it should be for a profit group
    • No-- but why???

Question

There are so many great guys and gals who do volunteer cleanings all across the country. These are a special type of person or groups that do these. I like to call these powerwashers our unsung heroes.

I'm leaning towards doing this with 10 finalist who will get documentation for this and having one winner every year. I'm looking into this to see if and how I can get possibly Snag grant money for this and maybe even giving out money along with a trophy to the finalist and the winner.

I have a few ideas in this but right off the bat to do this I think it should be affiliated with some type of group or groups for that matter and I'm leaning towards non profits at this time. This award can be given to one affiliation or multiple affiliations to present.

Keep in mind there are also parking garage orgs, window cleaning orgs along with the orgs that most know I belong to on these bb's..and don't forget my local org nyspa

I'm putting a poll up here to get a feel of what others thoughts are on this.

Thanks,

John T.

Edited by John T

14 answers to this question

The recognition would be fine. Expect a few years before you are able to gain traction. In my opinion, most people that volunteer heavily are not seeking an award, and might be embarrassed to get any award. Between that and the standards of the selection committee, it could turn into a very political process. Which might be why you would want a committee to decide on the award.

The recognition would be fine. Expect a few years before you are able to gain traction. In my opinion, most people that volunteer heavily are not seeking an award, and might be embarrassed to get any award. Between that and the standards of the selection committee, it could turn into a very political process. Which might be why you would want a committee to decide on the award.

Right on Scott. There would have to be a committee for this and yes I agree that people that volunteer for things tend to not want to be in the spotlight and that is something to consider. I have an odd way of looking at things. Every where you go when there are awards given out you always have "the best of this..the best of that" etc.... And that all makes sense even though in the Arts world alot of them despise that...but on most cases that makes sense.

Over here I just read in my newspaper that one of the Universities here that is affiliated with a hospital just awarded this little old lady for all the volunteering she has done.. Those people are special.

There's so many dilemmas with this and I'm just spitting out idea's because no matter how you slice it up(figure of speech not meaning you) Especially on the net which I will eventually have to learn to get away from.. This is a tough one to figure out... Example being...try getting a grant just for yourself to do these things. My job gets them multiple times a year. So just with that if this was to ever fly what group do you give this to.

But the banging out of idea's is what I like to do at this stage in my life... And your thoughts are always appreciated as are many others because I could never do this...alone.

Edited by John T

Then there is the whole "look what industry" you're dealing with factor. People will question how the selection committee is chosen and what their qualifications are to pick a candidate or winner.

I love where your heart is John but you need to get it off of your sleeve and back nearer to your head where it's safer :)

Then there is the whole "look what industry" you're dealing with factor. People will question how the selection committee is chosen and what their qualifications are to pick a candidate or winner.

I love where your heart is John but you need to get it off of your sleeve and back nearer to your head where it's safer :)

Love ya Celeste... Just hang in there...

I would make sure that the grant money does not come from tax payers. Private grants would be OK.

I've been told by Jim Grady a past president of the IWCA that they looked into grants and it couldn't be done or darn near impossible. Today it's just a thought.

As for grants Free government grants are funded in one of two ways: the money comes from the taxes we pay and also from private foundations that must give five percent of their assets to stay tax-exempt.

So where they come from it looks like there are no other choices... It's getting them is the problem.

I would make sure that the grant money does not come from tax payers. Private grants would be OK.

William - please add a proper signature - it's still a house rule here.

Thanks!

Celeste

PS - Landed that lead - thank you!!!!!

Edited by CarolinaProWash

I've been told by Jim Grady a past president of the IWCA that they looked into grants and it couldn't be done or darn near impossible. Today it's just a thought.

As for grants Free government grants are funded in one of two ways: the money comes from the taxes we pay and also from private foundations that must give five percent of their assets to stay tax-exempt.

So where they come from it looks like there are no other choices... It's getting them is the problem.

You'd think with all of the brains running around pressure washing that somebody would learn to write successful grants - those folks are like weathermen (get paid whether it comes through or not). It is difficult and tedious - lots of hoops to jump through but it's kind of like dominos....once you get one, they get easier after that.

Celeste

I couldn't sign in under my old password and after a few weeks of trying to get another one I gave up and made a new profile. Second time I have had to do that over the years. I don't remember how to do the signature thingy if you can give me some insight. My wife wrote grant request for the state for several years. I can assure you there is no such thing as a free grant. Private foundations don't pay into a "grant pool" either to keep tax-free status.

I couldn't sign in under my old password and after a few weeks of trying to get another one I gave up and made a new profile. Second time I have had to do that over the years. I don't remember how to do the signature thingy if you can give me some insight. My wife wrote grant request for the state for several years. I can assure you there is no such thing as a free grant. Private foundations don't pay into a "grant pool" either to keep tax-free status.

That part I put on about grants I actually took it off of a gov't site that explains what you were asking. Is it true?? I wouldn't know because I never tried for a grant but I hear it's a tough process that at times is darn near impossible.

My company for the last 20 years has and open invite to anyone in the community with a project we will be there to wash.

I think you have a great idea. I how ever just like keeping my work low profile. Its between me and the folks I help, now if it could help the cause of the folks we are helping that would be a real nice benefit.

I like the idea and good luck with it.

Ron ********** text me 480-5225227 ???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next year which is coming up fast on one of my to do list is figure how to go about getting grants issued. Also on my list is to network with a few to see if an org. In this industry can gain over a couple of thousand of members and can grant money then be had to help with member benefits.

This is the year I give what I knew I could when I served with orgs but never really had the time but I did have the money and to serve for your members tends to cost thousands so I have to evaluate that to see it it's worth it.. OK I already evaluated it...and it's worth it not in money but for me to help others and see it does benefit them.

Life is good as Jeff L. Says

Edited by John T

Off thread here but the award process for volunteers has already been accepted. Now to implement it an get the committee started with a chair in place it should work beautifully.. And no I will not chair it or be on it. I'm am just the architect on how it works and what is needed. The Chair will also have something to take on besides that and there are two people who I have in mind for this if I can get full approval. There positions are going to be duly noted in the right ledger. This should be a Co-Chair or a Chair and a Vice Chair. This position will reach beyond Powerwashing in responsibilities.

No announcements on this until I get it all worked out. This one is going to be a doozy.

Everything I do soon I will pass it on from Roundtables, Seminars,Conventions, Dinners I attend and wherever else I travel to with significance in 2012.

Edited by John T