Sign in to follow this  
bbtownman

Cleaning flood damage

My son and I started our business here in SW Iowa this last spring and although this is my first post, I have been using this site for information and FAQ's for a while. (GREAT SITE!)

We have a tandem trailer unit that can do up to 4000psi @ 7gpm with one gun, or 3.5gpm with both guns running. We can also heat water to 210 degrees.

I have used the Search for my question but I would like some more specific advice/guidance for a situation I am facing:

Our area recently suffered flooding from the Missouri river, some of the buildings/homes had flood waters sitting on them for over three months! This left some nasty stuff remaining on the buildings, shops and anything it touched. Most of these "stains" go 3 to 4 feet up the buildings.

Most of the farms have the Morton style, painted steel siding on buildings, workshops and equipment sheds. I have tried various mixtures of our regular house wash, (SC, 6% SH) and they are not getting the job done.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on a chemical or mix that can be more effective for us?

I appreciate the help!

Are the stains on the building red clay? In that case we have had great luck turning the heat up. You can try to use some 12% sh if you can find any if not use the 6% straight and do several passes. Take pictures they always help, and make sure to fix your signature.

Matthew is right about the mix and the signature. Welcome to TGS.

Heated Dihydrogen Monoxide is the way to go with the red clay if that's the case.

12% mix is better, but 6 straight will eventually cut through in most cases. That is, if the "nasty stuff" you mentioned is algae and mold and mud resi from the flooding.

Be sure to wear respirators if it is as thick as you say. Don't want that crud in your lungs.

I did not have a chance to take any photos of it yet, but there is no red clay soil in these parts just sandy loam, brown in color. The farms here are row crop, corn and soy beans and there is no livestock at this location.

In a test area, I did try the straight 6% SH solution and even hand scrubbed it. While it did remove quite a bit of the stain, it was still visible on the painted steel siding. The buidling/s are 120' X 40' and repeated passes gets rather costly for them. If there is still a visible mark after all the passes, their best best may be to simply clean and repaint?? The galvanized grain bins on the other hand came out perfect with just pressure and a little heat.

With all you experience/s - will it ever come clean enough NOT to leave a visible mark?

Thank you all !!