Sign in to follow this  
Fairway Washing

brick discoloration while removing rust

Question

We are removing some pretty heavy rust on concrete with an oxalic based rust remover. It's doing a great job on the concrete. The concrete has brick border. The job also has some larger brick areas with rust stains. We did test spots on the brick, the rust was removed but the concrete color was changed. The red of the brick was...I guess you could say dulled. It is not as red as the rest of the brick. I have read not to use the cleaner on brick with iron oxide pigment. I don't know if the brick has iron oxide pigment or not-not sure how to tell, but maybe this could be the discoloration cause. Does anyone have another option for removing rust from brick other than oxalic, or know the reason for the discoloration.

Thanks.

Edit- It reads the concrete color was changed. It was the brick color that was changed. Concrete looks great.

Edited by Fairway Washing

13 answers to this question

Oxalic always seems to leave white concrete a bit on the smokey gray side when used. So I would expect to see some change in the brick because of the Oxalic. Maybe try a product containing another kind of acid. Your distributor should be able to help you find one.....:)

one restore is very safe and shouldnt do anything to the brick. I always regret when I use something else on pavers when I run out, and it happened again today. Gotta order some more from Paul.

I just spent some time on the phone with lynn at eaco chem. Apparently one restore is not the right product for what i wa using it for.

It would be a good idea to call eaco chem yourself