Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

What about Pulley/belt kits with slides for the engine instead of gearboxes?

With all the gear boxes out there it seems easy to just mount a pump to a gear box and mount the gea box to the engine and be done with it.

I am amazed that I have not seen any vendors out there selling a belt drive kit for those people out there that want to run belts and pulleys.

The biggest problem is drilling the holes for the engine and the pump brackets and making sure that everything is aligned up and then tightening the belts.

I have seen some aftermarket belt tensioners but not sure if they would work.

What would be nice is a paper, plastic or metal template to drill the holes so that everything should line up and a belt tensioner or a slide for the engine that you just drill holes onto the pump/engine base and have it rigged to where you just turn the bolt (like some skids have welded onto the base) and then tighten the bolts on the engine or pump and be done with it.

I am sure that vendors out there have templates made already for making the pump bases for building them but the other issue here is tightening the belts.

I don't think that a sliding device would be that hard to make and then have a company mass-produce them but then I am not on that side of the industry.

On my Hotsy there are 2 bolts that you adjust to tighten the belts, just like on other rigs out there that are mass produced.

I agree that the gear boxes are a good idea but it would also be nice to have an option for belts/pulleys and maybe even another larger template for adding a generator so when people want to make their own rigs or if the pump bases rust out but the components are still in working condition, they could just order this template, base and put it together and be up and running again.

Not sure if vendors out there have ever been asked for something like this and it might worry some about not selling as many skid units or pre-built rigs but there will always be guys out there that don't have the skills or time or want to build the units but on the other hand there are a lot of guys out there building their businesses how they want with the gear boxes and only have so much room on the trailers and trucks or want to custom build rigs for their certain applications.

I have wondered about this for a few years now and have not seen anything out there yet like what I described.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Maybe you should take it to the next level chris. Another extention of your business??????

If it needs to be done and others would benefit from your knowledge of the design, you should be the one to design and market it.

Just a thought.

I'm not advanced enough to comment in a direct pressure washer respect but I see how what you are saying is analogous to computers: e.g. difference between prebuild and custom build. People build their own or buy similar kits to allow them to do this and control upgrades and ensure space for said upgrades and improvements. Further to ensure overall quality of all components overall.

More than what you are saying maybe but there is nothing else like what you are talking about. I think it would be a good thing (assuming what you are saying is good I dunno much about it)

there are SO many pulley combinations to choose from,

and you have to get it exactly right..

In fact, I have SO much time invested in the pulley-charts I use, I would have to charge a fee for coaching someone on this stuff.. unless you're an active customer, of course.

It's REALLY time consuming.

Belt tensioners and mounting brackets..

Hmm..

I might make mine available..

NONE of my brackets has EVER broken, or worn out.

Beefy is all we think about all day long.

see some here.. Engine Cold.

look close under the pumps.. beefy U-channel, and angle iron,

adjustment slots built-in to the frame with 1" .120 wall square tube,

and triple-step powdercoated to NOT rust for decades..

..When I say beefy, I mean Ivan "IronMan" Stewart couldn't break my hotrods.

And yes, I've sold several systems to race teams.

:{)

Edited by Jerry
detail