Sign in to follow this  
AZPowerWash

Cooking Oil from Deep Frying Turkeys

Question

This year must have been the year for frying turkeys on the patio. We have been booking a lot of jobs to removing cooking oil stains on concrete and pavers. Some we are getting great results and others we are not. We have used degreasers, oven cleaner, and good old Dawn. Surprisingly Dawn have been giving us the best results over all, but some of these stains are extremely stubborn and once the area dries it doesn't look like we did much at all. I was wondering if there is anything that will work better to get these oil stains out.

8 answers to this question

This year must have been the year for frying turkeys on the patio. We have been booking a lot of jobs to removing cooking oil stains on concrete and pavers. Some we are getting great results and others we are not. We have used degreasers, oven cleaner, and good old Dawn. Surprisingly Dawn have been giving us the best results over all, but some of these stains are extremely stubborn and once the area dries it doesn't look like we did much at all. I was wondering if there is anything that will work better to get these oil stains out.

Depends on the type of oil used. Veg oil and hydroxide will yield you the best results

Some times easier to replace a paver. Or use a poultice to draw out the stain and what Tracy said works better. Couple of years ago I had a customer do that to a cedar deck and they waited till spring to to tell me. No wait, I found out when I came to do the maintenance. OMG !!!!! What a disaster ..............

After seeing that turkey fryer fire demonstration video its amazing how many people don't know the dangers of frying a turkey and how many people do it on their patios and close to their house. Thanks for all your input on this, I am going to pick up some Hydroxide and try it on a property we have scheduled later this week.

A product that contains potassium hydroxide should work better than ones with sodium hydroxide. It works better on the organic oils that would be used when turkey cooking.

I have to agree with Tracy on this one. The same goes for cleaning the concrete around grease holding containers at restaurants.

Remove small stains with oven cleaner. Spray the stain with cleaner and let it sit for six to seven hours. Return and spray the stain down with water. Repeat as needed until the oil stain is gone. Oven cleaner is a toxic chemical, so keep children and pets away from the area until you’ve rinsed it clean.

I'm sure that he does not want to sit around waiting 6 or 7 hours or making a second trip to clean, try what others have said above.