Sign in to follow this  
extremeclean

Removing Fur

Question

After talking to a wood restoration contractor today I was asking him about what he uses to remove the fur from the wood caused by cleaning, I told him that we use a 5-1/2'' orbital sander and it takes two of us all day to sand. He told me that he uses a 3m pad on a buffer machine that the pads cost around $1.50 each and are 9'' cutting the removal time down. Here is the question, I forgot to ask where he gets the pads from can anyone point me to the right style and company that sells them. Also who all is using this already and how is it working for you?

13 answers to this question

It is a no brainer. I have a 12 inch and a 18 inch floor machines. Janitorial supply will carry 3m pads and rental places have them. For hand held buffers I used to buy the largest pad and cut my own out. I can buff a 1000 foot cedar floor in a hour.

3m pads come in different grits. Different ones work better for hard woods and some better for soft woods. The 60 grit screens work even better if you get them not to tear and bunch up.

Hello Grime Scene community,

This is my first post so go easy on me! In regards to these defelting pads that everyone uses, could anyone tell me what the actual name or make of the pad is. I would order straight from the link that Charlie provided, but I live in Ontario Canada, so I need to find something local. Looking forward to many more posts.

Regards

This is my first post so go easy on me! In regards to these defelting pads that everyone uses, could anyone tell me what the actual name or make of the pad is. I would order straight from the link that Charlie provided, but I live in Ontario Canada, so I need to find something local. Looking forward to many more posts.

Regards

Trevor Welcome to TGS please add your signature to your profile in the upper right corner where it says settings.

Someone will chime in on their pads i don't use them.

Thanks

Regards

They're a special order item. We used to order a 1000 at a time to get them to cut the order. You can use Osborne brushes as well but they're slower Imo. We actually use both.

Thanks Greg. I managed to find a local distributor of the Osborn brush in my area. They cost $68.00 apiece. I just wish I could get my hands on some defelting pads to give myself some options on the job.... plus I hear they are great for getting between spindles.

I created a signature, hopefully it will show on this post.

I created a signature, hopefully it will show on this post.

You're good Trevor...thanks

You stay pretty busy with decks in Canada? What brands of stains you are able to get up there?

I saw your website nice before and after on the deck on your homepage!

What brands of stains you are able to get up there?

I saw your website nice before and after on the deck on your homepage!

Hey Seymore,

Thanks for your interest. That website is just a place holder for now - I have a new one on the way. Last year I used a product called Cutek, which I haven't heard anyone mention on TGS before. It's a very high penetrating stain developed in Australia. It works very well. However, in the interest of lowering my costs this summer, I have my eyes set on AC. I'm relatively close to the boarder, so Scott from the Sealer Store is hooking me up.

Edited by Trevor C.N