Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

Acid concentrations

Question

I have been modifying my mix ratios and was listing different ratios for Ox, Citric, and a blend. It appears Oxalic may be about 30-35% stronger than Citric in measuring acid strengths. I usually use a blend but wanted separate ratios for individually as well. If the Ox is stronger, do you have different amounts for the Ox over the Citric? Say 3 oz of Ox compared to 4oz of Citric, etc.,?

Like I said, I usually use a blend but there are times when a safer mix of Citric is a better sell than Ox. Also, I think Ox will get stains out better so there are times I will use straight Ox rather than the blend.

4 answers to this question

In my opinion maybe because I strip a lot of cedar and hard woods I don't even use citric acid because I find it doesn't work well enough. I do understand the point of being safer. I find I can just use a weaker ox solution in cases of just brightening the wood. I also use Phosphoric and Hydrochloric in some cases to neutralize . Some difficult stripping requires a stronger acid to off set the stronger stripper(EACO chem products).