Sign in to follow this  
Aplus

Vines on Brick

Question

It's been asked before what can be done about vines growing on brick. In this case, the plants were cut at the bottom, and the vines were allowed to dry 3-4 weeks before they called me.

First thing I had to do was pick off the bulk of the vines by hand, talk about sore fingers..... we tried brooms and brushes, but nothing worked as well as our fingers.

We washed with about 1300 psi, a #8 tip if I remember correctly. It was slow, tedious work, but the results were worth it.

I felt glad to get these results, because sometimes, it doesn't turn out so well. I'm not sure if the differences are because of the type of brick, the type of vine, or what, but I have had other jobs that did not turn out so well.

I told the homeowner up front that we would not know exactly what the results would be until we actually started the work. Of course it worked out favorably this time, and we even got a $25 tip!

post-77-137772139456_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Actually I did spray bleach on about 15 minutes before washing, because there was quite a bit of mildew growing as well, and I wanted to make sure all the mold spores were killed off.

Rod, I was thinking about the softening and breaking up of the vines too, but I didn't have proof that happened, but it was a theory.

Alan , I had a job just like Tony's and used Eaco Chem's stripper cream. I put it on with a paint brush , let it sit over night and washed it off the next morning with warm water. I did try it with just hot water and it didn't do a thing. I'm not sure about stucco. You may have to call Eaco Chem on that.

http://www.eacochem.com/

Looked at this place today and the vines are very dried out and dead. I will try the bleach/chlorine, lower pressure and heat. I just hope the extension pole does not kill me as I will be slinging it around for hours on this one.

Alan,

I used cold water. I personally don't think hot water is going to make a difference in this situation.

Since you say the vines are already dried and dead, try the bleach spray and cold water with under 1000psi and see what happens.

You may have to remove some of the larger vines by hand, and I'd think it would be easier when they are dry.

If you are unable to get the results you're looking for, then perhaps the Eachochem products would be worth a try.

I don't support the idea of applying vegatation killer. Way too toxic, and you don't want to leave the ground poisoned so that it can no longer support plant life.

You can kill the plants just as easy by cutting the vines at the bottom.