Sign in to follow this  
John T

Least watts generator to run 2 burners questions

I have a belt driven 34hp Kohler engine with a Tsf2021 general pump rated @3600psi @8.5gpm.

I want to add a generator to it with the ability to plug in two 120 volt burners to it.

What's the lowest wattage belt driven generator can I add to this Powerwasher and how much will it affect the ratings of that pump?

My guess is a 4000 watt generator which needs aprox 8hp to run it if that formula is correct which is aprox 2hp per 1000 watts. If that's the case the engine would now be like a 26hp running the tsf2021 pump and would that be enough for that pump and if not what about does it drop that pump rating to??

Thanks

2500 watts should be sufficient. It takes about 1800 watts to start a burner, but only about 600 watts to run it. If you start the burners at different times, you should be fine with 2500 or so.

Keep in mind, too, that the horsepower to do a full 4000 may be 8, but if a 4000 watt generator is only pushing 2000 watts, then the horsepower needed will decrease as well.

Edited by Russ Johnson

2500 watts should be sufficient. It takes about 1800 watts to start a burner, but only about 600 watts to run it. If you start the burners at different times, you should be fine with 2500 or so.

Keep in mind, too, that the horsepower to do a full 4000 may be 8, but if a 4000 watt generator is only pushing 2000 watts, then the horsepower needed will decrease as well.

Hey Russ what would happen if while the guys are cleanig with hot water and the burners let's say both hit there temp settings so they are off and then they both wer to kick on the same time if I had. 3000 watt generator. Would the fuse trip?

I have a 3000 watt generator already but what would you suggest to be on the safe side. This generator will only he used for the burners.

Hey Russ what would happen if while the guys are cleanig with hot water and the burners let's say both hit there temp settings so they are off and then they both wer to kick on the same time if I had. 3000 watt generator. Would the fuse trip?

I have a 3000 watt generator already but what would you suggest to be on the safe side. This generator will only he used for the burners.

If your wired properly nothing. The burner fan and transformer will already be running the only thing that will happen is a small voltage will be needed to open and close the fuel solenoid. The load will already be on the generator so nothing should happen

If your wired properly nothing. The burner fan and transformer will already be running the only thing that will happen is a small voltage will be needed to open and close the fuel solenoid. The load will already be on the generator so nothing should happen

3600 watts seems to be the safest bet but I only seen 4000 watts as the next size. Thanks for the info Chris

I remember a dual heater 26hp diesel diesel system we set up about 27 years ago..

with 2000 watt Winco generator, and an interlock relay with delay-on,

so they could never be started at the same time..

we were careful to use small capacitor-start blower-motors,

and once the burner motors were running, the HV and fuel solenoids were "allowed" to fire (by flow-switch control),

..with delay on relays.

The Winco generator was mounted in a protective housing since they HATE moisture,

and it lasted about 5 years on an otherwise abusive construction site.

At about 9 years old, an idiot accidentally drove his earthmover over the truck-bed-mounted system,

.. and squished it, truck and all, .. or it would still be alive today

.. like all our other Diesel-Diesel systems.

Come to think of it.. I don't remember replacing more than 1 High voltage, and 1 fuel solenoid over all those years.

Can you say.. Long-Term-Low-Cost ??

We understand controls.

one more thing..

if you're going to go to "that" level of performance,

con canNOT cut corners on ANYthing..

beef wiring, beefy connections,

Japanese relays, NOT Chinese,

DIY's don't get these results..

it's hard to think of everything.

Stick with a 3000 watt generator, and you'll be fine.