Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Olympic mildew check

Question

I have to do a bid on a Trex deck. Lady had a sheet from Trex, suggesting clean with Sodium Hypochlorite and then treat with Olympic Mildew Check.

Any one heard of it?

Good or bad.

What else can you use on trex to prevent mildew?

This lady has a dock made of trex that is 10 yeears old on the gulf of Mexico. looks like its brand new. Has never been cleaned or treated in any way. the stuff by the house that was added 6 months ago is dirty and mildewy.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

7 answers to this question

I've never heard of the mildew solution by olympic... I do know there are chemicals you can apply to prevent mildew. They also have metal stripping you can install on roofs to prevent mildew. I just wish I could remember what it's called. I've used it on a few roofs and it works great. Aluminum oxide seems to jump in my head but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.. Does anyone else know?

If mildew, clean the trex with bleach.

If you are looking at overall tannin bleed from the compostition of the trex, apply acid (citric, oxylic, or citralic) and wash. Acid removed the black tannin bleed.

Beth

I was recently hired by Trex to clean a deck under warranty. It had the usual black spots.

They sent a "kit" of PSC Composite Deck Cleaner and Sealer. Add bleach to the cleaner and spray. The sealer smelled like Mop n Glo and left a semi-gloss finish when dry.

I would suggest that you have your customer contact Trex and they may offer to have the deck cleaned and treated. (Make sure he suggests that they use you!) Trex is aware of the staining problems and seem to be willing to pay to satisfy their customers.

i found the Olympic mildew check today. Sounds like what they sent John Orr. Its an alkaline cleaner that you add bleach to and clean. im not going to try and seal it. She already knows it needs to be cleaned regularly.