Sign in to follow this  
cwenbass

Looking to save time and money: Is there a deck stripper and brightener in one?

Question

10 answers to this question

The short answer is no by the way. Your neutralizer is designed to cancel out the effects of the stripper and balance the wood's PH. Mixing two things together that are designed to cancel each other out gives you nothing of any effect to the wood but a lot of heat and I believe a sodium oxalate solution although I don't know what the mix rations would be.

Edited by bigchaz

staff.gifreputation_pos.pngreputation_pos.pngbigchaz.gif?dateline=1205029569
Join DateNov 2006LocationRaleigh NCAge23Posts1,232

Honest question here, are you at all familiar with the chemical processes behind wood restoration? PH scale, caustics, acids, etc?

I do not. i know I use a stripping material then a brightener. I amnot sure where to gather all of that information and would love to know more about chemical process involved in washing. i have only done a few decks for friends with stripper/brightner at low PSI so no harm done but I want to know more before I start doing it for $$.

Chris,

Come to the ACR roundtable in Easton, Pa. on Saturday, March 10th. There will be a lot of wood contractors there, as well as chemical and stain manufacturers. If that does not work, there is a large gathering in Albany, NY on March 31st through April 1st. Again, a lot of contractors and manufacturers.

Does such a product exist as a stripping agent and brightener in one. Also, if I wanted to save money, does anyone use their own concoctions for stripping and brightening decks?

No, there isn't. It is chemically not possible and looking for a magic bullet is a waste of time.

Please. If you are going to do this kind of work, do it right.

Others have to contend with the results otherwise and makes it more difficult in the long run to dispel the stigma generated by people who want to apply a short cut.

If you want a 'one step' method...James nailed it: Sanding!

As far as 'using their own concoctions' this is a bad idea as you become the manufacturer and bear full responsibility of the damages created by them.

If you don't have a background education in chemistry, training or valid certification, leave the concoctions to the manufacturers who have the insurance and understanding of their products. Otherwise, you leave yourself wide open to a law suit.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

As far as 'using their own concoctions' this is a bad idea as you become the manufacturer and bear full responsibility of the damages created by them.

If you don't have a background education in chemistry, training or valid certification, leave the concoctions to the manufacturers who have the insurance and understanding of their products. Otherwise, you leave yourself wide open to a law suit.

Rod!~

I agree!

I have no intention of putting anything on wood until I know a lot about it. That is why i am asking. Saw a PW company that advertised that they did it. Do not remember the sight. I come here so I can see what others are doing because those in the industry doing are what set industry standards that I try to adhere to.