Sign in to follow this  
RickDel

Pressure Washer Recommendation around $1,500 for a DIY'er

Hello, I've been reading quite a bit and would appreciate some advise if you have any to offer. I'd like to buy a pressure washer that will last a LONG time. I'll only be using it around the house (siding, sidewalks, fences, deck, mower, ect.). I basically want a washer that will handle anything I'll throw at it around the house. I'm currently considering any unit with a Honda GX390, Cat Pump, and aluminum cart. I'm still undetermined on direct drive or belt driven.

So, do you guys have any suggestions for a good quality washer that I can use for anything I need around the house? I'm thinking a budget of around $1,500 shipped (give or take).

Thanks! - Rick

The pump will be the weak point if you buy from the big home stores so you'll want to buy a unit with a quality pump ie. Cat, General, etc. Be sure you take care of the pump once you buy a quality machine. Don't let the machine run for 45 seconds or so without pulling the trigger because the water heats up in the bypass very quickly, keep the oil changed with quality non-detergent oil and don't starve the pump for water. Speaking of heat... A belt driven pump will run cooler and will be subject to less viberation than a direct drive but they will cost more up front. You might be better off finding a decent used belt drive for the cost of a new direct drive. If you do a search on this site you'll find a lot more information on this topic. Happy Shopping.

There are some vendors on here who could sell you a great belt drive PW for $1500. If you really want to make sure it lasts route the unloader hose out into the grass so you can leave it running with the gun closed and don't have to worry about the single biggest cause of failure. And drain it or blow it out in the winter, and drain the carb when you aren't going to use it for over a month.

I can't tell you how many 13 hp pressure washers I've bought for backups for pennies on craigslist that just had varnished up carbs. I don't even mess with them anymore, just keep some spare carbs on hand, switch em and they fire right up.

Rick2,

The pump will be the weak point if you buy from the big home stores
I was under the same impression but there's a heavy duty 4200PSI / 4GPM Dewalt at HD for $1,000 that has a Honda GX390 and a pro triplex plunger pump, which I believe is a General or a CAT Pump (LINK). Everything I've read has led me to believe the engine and the pump make the pressure washer, so if this Dewalt has a Honda GX390 and a CAT Pump, then isn't it as good as the ones selling at Pressure Tek with the same engine and pump (minus the aluminum cart)?? (no offense intended to anyone associated to Pressure Tek).

tonyshelton, thanks for the advise! I've been looking on craigslist, but I live in a small place (Delaware) and there NEVER seems to be anything I need/want on there!! Besides, I'm very particular about my tools, so probably wouldn't find a used one up to my standard (most of my stuff still looks new years after purchase)

Thanks Again!

That unit is a cold water unit. And the unloader is not the same as it is on commercial units....and there are some other things. It's a good around the house unit if you are just a home owner who wants a good tool in the garage, it's a good entry level unit you can get a commercial grade unit if you are thinking of getting into the trade and then I would say keep is as a backup or second gun.

Beth

Thanks for the response Beth. I'm a home owner/DIY'er, so I'm not looking to "get into the trade", but I do appreciate quality equipment and tools. I don't mind spending a little extra up front for a unit that will be able to handle an unforseen task I might encounter in the future (around the house).