Sign in to follow this  
KGILL

Removing paint from driveway pavers

Question

I have a potential customer who called and wanted the paint from her driveway removed. Several years ago the whole driveway was painted but now she would like to have bare pavers. The homeowner does not know the type of paint. In the attached photos are what she has done with a cold home pressure washer and a paint stripper from home depot. She states the progress she has made has taken numerous hours.

post-9121-137772420661_thumb.jpg

She is willing to pay quite a bit to get the job done. More than enough to cover renting a hot water pressure washer from an equipment rental place.

The hot pressure washers I have seen available for rent range from 2000 psi and 2.8 gallons a minute (electric) all the way up to 3500 psi 5.0 gpm. Figured if I were to rent a pressure washer I would go with the high psi and gpm.

Besides a hot pressure washer what is the best method of attack?

post-9121-137772420645_thumb.jpg

post-9121-137772420654_thumb.jpg

Edited by KGILL

26 answers to this question

I saw a very old post from Dave Olsen who advised that he did not use chemical but used 200+ degree water, 1800-3000 psi and 8-9 gpm. Unfortunately I am unable to ask Dave whether or not he used a turbo nozzle. What are your opinions about using a turbo nozzle?

If possible, I would love to do this without chemicals. If not possible, what chemicals do you suggest?

Thanks for any response.

My only experience is with latex, hot water and turbo will take it right up. But I doubt anyone would put latex on exterior pavers, worth a try.

If its been on there that long I would doubt hot water alone does the trick. Stripper (soy gel or dads or similar) would seem like a quicker and easier way to loosen it up before washing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

You need a good paint stripper to take that up. Preferably a "green" paint stripper. If it's possible apply a stripper, covering with plastic, and let it sit overnight. Then hit it with hot water and a turbo nozzle and you'll be golden. The longer you can let the paint stripper dwell the better. I've dealt with this stuff on driveways before, and I wish I could remember the stuff I used years ago. It was environmentally friendly, and would pull up just about anything, including epoxies and lacquers. If I stumble across it again, I'll let you know, but don't try to tackle this without some chemicals to help. You'll work yourself to death.

I saw a very old post from Dave Olsen who advised that he did not use chemical but used 200+ degree water, 1800-3000 psi and 8-9 gpm. Unfortunately I am unable to ask Dave whether or not he used a turbo nozzle. What are your opinions about using a turbo nozzle?

If possible, I would love to do this without chemicals. If not possible, what chemicals do you suggest?

Thanks for any response.

I would use a stripper agent.....without that chemical assistance, it is going to take you forever to remove that from the surface. I know you said the customer was willing to pay but if you spend too much time, it eats away your profit quickly. There are also some new chems on the market to seal the pavers. It can be done in one step rather than multiple trips to the residence.

Went to your website and couldn't find a contact number for you. If you need additional assistance, feel free to inbox me or visit us at Pressure Wash Supplies from Pressure Wash Outlet.

Thanks everyone. Been MIA for about a week now as I was in an area where I did not get cell reception or have internet.

While talking to the customer she received a soy gel that she was going to use. That was before I posted this thread and before I knew anything about soy gels. Many of you advised the same thing.

I just talked to her and she stated that the soy gel did work however she is unwilling to do the rest of the work herself. She is interested in ordering some more and having me do the work. Will let you know how it goes and post after pictures.

Going to be applying the gel Wednesday night and placing a light plastic cover over it. I plan to hit it first thing Thursday morning. Here are some pictures of what the homeowner did.

post-9121-137772422702_thumb.jpg

post-9121-13777242269_thumb.jpg

Edited by KGILL

Soy Gel has been working like a champ. Now.... another question. I tarped to prevent stripped paint from going anywhere, however some paint flakes did end up on a garage door and a support post. Garage door is wood and painted, same with the support column. Any ideas how to remove it? Power washing is out of the question, paint on garage door will flake off (even with low pressure) and is apparently rotted. I attempted to use a bristle brush with warm soapy water and it did not seem to work.

I attempted to edit last post and add info but it would not let me.

I have attempted to powerwash and it does not do the trick. The garage door appears to be soft and rotting in some spots, and I flaked off a little of the garage paint even with low pressure.

I attempted to use a hand bristle brush with warm soapy water, no luck.

A razor scrapper is not doing the trick without taking garage paint with it.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunate that it's sticking to the garage door. It's likely completely bonded to the paint on the door too. I don't personally know of any way to remove it. You've basically reactivated the paint by applying the stripper, and as the stripper dries, the paint is going to bond to whatever it's on, and often times very fiercely too. The bond isn't chemical, it's going to be physical as the paint sets in to the paint on the door. Sanding may be your only option to remove it.

One gallon of paint will do a couple garage doors easily, and if you're any good at spraying, you could repaint their doors for very little expense and less than 20 mins time invested. It takes longer to cut in the garage door bucks than to paint the doors. Heck, it takes longer to get the sprayer ready and clean up than it will take to paint them. This is the route I would personally take, and I'd do it at no charge, because it's not a major deal, and it was unforeseen. This will leave the customer ecstatic with your performance and cover your behind too.

Of course, you can explain it to the customer honestly, and paint the door for free if they provide the paint, because I really don't think you'll get it off without some damage. Show them the rotten wood, and tell them they need to do something anyway. Just be honest, and be professional about it. I don't ever see stuff like this as a problem. It's a chance to make a customer really happy, and maybe get some referrals for it.

Oh hey KGILL. I meant to stop back in here and tell you DO NOT BE AFRAID!This issue is NOT your fault. It could have caught THE VERY BEST of us off guard! This is an opportunity for you to blow your customers away with your level of service, for a cost of about $25 (for fairly good paint).

Anyone could have done the same thing, with the focus being so heavily on removing the paint from the pavers. Don't look at this as a mistake at all. Look at this as an OPPORTUNITY to show your customers what an awesome contractor you are. Look at it as a chance to PROVE that YOU are the right man for the job, because you went ABOVE and BEYOND, where you really shouldn't have to. The fault lies with whoever painted the pavers. You are their SAVIOR! You are the guy FIXING the problems with their pavers AND their garage door.

I was still thinking about your last reply when I popped in here this morning, and thought I'd brighten your perspective on the issue a little.

Thanks everyone who posted responses, replied to private messages, or allowed me to pester them with phone calls. I have not used Dads or any other stipper, but I will say I was impressed with the Soy Gel. The customer service at Franmar was excellent.

Yeah, that advice is just hard won experience. Running a service based business, CUSTOMER SERVICE is tops. If you find a chance to make yourself out to be a super hero (exaggerating some maybe) then take it and do just that.

That's unfortunate, what happened? Were they just a pita? You can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.