Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Pump oil?

I think it's time to replace the oil in my pump, but I've misplaced the papers and don't recall what I put in to begin with. What suggestions do you guys have?

AR pump, 4gpm, shaft drive.

Thanks,

Ryan

ISO is just an international standards system.

Basically ISO 68 certified oil of a particular grade/weight would be the same thing anywhere in the world.

The Cat oil with that label means that Cat paid a heap of money to certify 'officially' that their particular oil meets the same standard as set forth in the ISO standards book.

It does not necessarily mean that oils bought elsewhere do not meet the standard, just that the company that mfg'd it did not pay to have the oil certified and labeled thusly.

I use MOBIL DTE 26/ISO 68. This was recommended to me by General Pump engineers.

I was having severe starting problems with a 13 HP HONDA engine during cold weather. Would nearly rip your arm off pulling the rope.

I had been using standard non-detergent oil prior to the switch. It does not perform well below 30F.

Anyway made the switch per G.P.'s recommendations and you can start that Honda with ease on the coldest of mornings.

Switched all my machines over to this oil. I can purchase it in bulk for $5.00 a gallon if I bring my own container. This oil really holds up well under extreme conditions.

DTE 26 is actually an industrial hydralic pump oil that meets ISO 68 standards.

Yes the engine cranks easier because the DTE 26 oil is designed to run at lowwer temps.

The 30 weight non-det. oil thickens in weather below 30F. As a result starting was very difficult. Low temperature has the molasas effect on the 30 wt.

Some of the problem was related to the pump crank shaft bearing design being of the ball bearing type. An AR pump on an identical engine was not affected by the 30 wt. because the crank had roller bearings.

The GP engineers kicked the problem around for two days. They personaly called me with their recommendations and I made the switch. I could have waited and ordered GP oil but they said this would work equally as well. The differance in starting amazing.

I now use MOBIL DTE 26 oil in the three direct drive and one belt drive pumps.

Thats good information, thanks! I too had a problem starting my smalled 13.5 horse machine(pull rope start), in which I run the 30wt ND. Haven't yet made the switch but will be doing so soon. Probably change the oil in both machines so that the other machine's electric start isn't stressed too much.