Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What's the toughest thing to remove?

Question

Hi all,

Extreme Solutions is working on new products, and of course want's them to be the solutions you need for the problems you face each day. So tell us, what is the toughest thing you have come across that you have had trouble removing?

Please post the product types and names here, and if you have photos throw them up. This info might just hlep make your season easier next year.

Thanks!

Beth

15 answers to this question

I wish someone could figure out how to get rid of the pressure treated film without it fuzzing up after a first time wash with EFC. I always sand my butt off on these projects. It still doesn't come up as easy as I'd like. The easiest decks I think are the ones that have been washed and treated with clear previously- leaving out the fuzzing. Nick

Nick, I rarely get fuzzing on PT lumber, especially with the EFC. Whats your technique? Do you go over 500 psi at the nozzle? On a new deck that still needed cleaning I mixed the EFC about 6 oz per gallon and rinsed after fifteen minutes. Followed immediately with an acid bath and throrough rinsing I didn't experience any fuzzing even on the rails. I only recently started using the EFC though. Maybe Beth can help you out here.

I like Ev's answer...:eek::cool:

Here's mine for wood..

Latex paint spills and overspray from sloppy painters on new P/T prior to any sealing or finishwork.... post construction cleanup..

Here's another one..not wood...

Georgia red clay mixed in with roofers tar, commercial carpet glue, or VCT adhesive, (never have been able to determine exactly which) and walked all the way up and down (many, many times..a trail if you will) a brand new rubberized commercial stairwell by the construction crews (ivory color flooring, of course). Then allowed to "cure" for a couple of months while the construction wrapped up.

The Super on the job maintains that no adhesives were used of those types and certainly not in a manner that would cause ten-hundred footprints to be left on the stairs. Further, whatever it was should just "come right up"

No, we never did get all of it off and we tried just about everyting except acid including hot water, cold water, commercial butyl degreasers at full strength, acetone(very small test spot), paint thinner, Goof Off, lighter fluid, tire dressing. The contractor also tried everything he could think of except raw gasoline and a rag. The butyl lightened the stain the best, but no amount of scrubbing completely removed it.

Any ideas???

I can't resist...

Exorcise them!

Personally....we are not wild about paint. Some types of paint are a challenge we could do without. Mystery decks come to mind...like you take on a stripping job and there is a solid stain over a solid PAINT and one come off but the other doesn't, and it s 3K sq. ft. deck....

I hate it when that happens.

Beth