Sign in to follow this  
Stephen

Sap in Mahogany decking

Question

I just viewed mahogany decking from Malaysia that still has some sap in it (not great amounts) . I was told that it would leach out within a year and would be sap free. They said upon installing the decking you should seal it. Then after a year the sap should leach out and then you can lightly sand and reseal again. After that it should be perfect. Does anyone have experience with this who could confirm that this is the case. Or has a different approach.

5 answers to this question

Stephen,

Much of what is being sold as "mahogany" is not true red mahogany, but known in general as "Philippine mahogany". These woods are, if I recall correctly, usually in the Shorea family. Often also call Meranti.

We've worked on some of this wood in the past, and yes, it can extrude sap, especially on the cut ends. Not sure how long it takes to fully leave the wood.

More info can be found in this thread: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/6739-exotic-woods.html

:wink: Go to the upper right corner, click settings. then look on the navigation on the left, and is will say signature. click it and there will be a box.

It will take a post or two to show up.

Beth

I take care of a lot wood in Fairfield county. Usually the sap appears as a whitish line and turns to a powder. Its not sticky lick pressure treated. If the deck builder sees it while building they should not use the board.