Sign in to follow this  
AAPaint

Advice For Shooting Caustic

I'm looking for the right kind of setup to shoot caustic on houses. I have a two story cedar restoration that will be coming up in a month, and I want an easy way to get stripper up to the second story. I'm fully aware of the precautions needed to do so, it's the pump setup I'm not so sure about. Will something like the 5800 pump kit from PressureTek meet my needs? How far can it shoot chems? Would it be cheaper to build a setup on my own (I'm guessing it would)? What kind of setup would you recommend?

I realize I could downstream stripper, but I'm worried about getting it strong enough, and also worried about having too much power behind it when doing it that way. I really don't see myself going that way for stripping wood. With decks, I really don't have a problem with a pump up sprayer, but there are some high spots on this house that I don't want to be on a ladder spraying caustic at, and getting the right setup will mean not needing a pump up sprayer for decks anymore also.

What setup should I use, and what's most economical? I'm outlaying a lot of cash on new equipment right now, so I want to be a cheap skate, yet get something decent.

I would recommend a pump cart set up with a sureflo pump.

Pumptec also sells one called the decker with their own pump style.

The set up would minimize the amount of spray that would rain down on you vs other methods like x-jet/m-jet injector systems.

Down streaming would get it done faster but you lose sight of certain angles and areas you can't reach effectively from the ground.

With the sprayer cart set up, we get on a ladder and visually see everything we are trying to strip.

some people make up their own by buying just the pump and a on/off switch and a deep cycle marine battery with a plastic box and mount it all on a 49$ hand cart with a piece of plywood.

I have a similar set up only it is mounted on the side of my hose reel mounting system in the back of a truck.

The others on the wall of the sprinter van.

I have 2 decker sprayer carts as well for smaller jobs but you can get whatever length hose you need to meet your needs. 50' seems to work well in the majority of jobs.

Edited by Beth n Rod

Great advice, and I think I'm going to follow up on it. I've got the perfect cart for this. My old bridge fishing cart is going to be sacrificed for the greater good. May it make me enough money to buy a new cart, haha. It should fit right in the extra space on the new trailer I'm building, that I couldn't figure out a use for, and I'll be able to wheel it right off and do whatever I want. I was thinking about using a dolly at first, but forgot I had this cart laying around. I'm already working on getting the parts, so maybe I'll put up some pics of what I'm talking about when it's done.

Thanks for the advice.

Adam,

We've been using a dual Shurflo setup for years to apply chemicals. Portable and relatively light in weight when empty. The advantage of 2 pumps is that you have a backup when one burns out. In a typical season, I go through 2 pumps.

With Shurflo's, no need for a heavy marine 12 volt battery. A small "garden tractor" type 12 volt works fine.

post-170-137772426083_thumb.jpg

Adam,

We've been using a dual Shurflo setup for years to apply chemicals. Portable and relatively light in weight when empty. The advantage of 2 pumps is that you have a backup when one burns out. In a typical season, I go through 2 pumps.

With Shurflo's, no need for a heavy marine 12 volt battery. A small "garden tractor" type 12 volt works fine.

Creative, looks good...

Hey Rick, thanks for that, especially the pictures. I'm a visual learner, so pictures are worth more than a thousand words to me. Anyone else with pictures of their setups would be helpful.

I have a utility cart I'm going to use, rather than a hand cart, so I certainly have room for two pumps, but I don't know if I have the budget for it right now. It will take up more space on the trailer, but I have extra room for which I don't have any other use, so that will be fine. It might actually be easier to move around than a hand truck too, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm spending a ton on setting up a small trailer to make my life easier. The recommendation on the battery is helpful, because I was certainly thinking a large marine battery is what I needed. I'm just not sure about the tank portion of the setup yet, or if I'll just use a 10-15 gallon bucket/container for the chems.

Well, I spent the money and got a good dolly to set it up on. I have my pump, I have my battery, hose, wand, and fittings. I just need a tank.

Where is everyone getting their tanks, and what sizes are you using?