Sign in to follow this  
Grahams

Problems while Pressure Washing

Question

What are so problems you guys have had while pressure washing or roof cleaning, and how did you resolve them? Trying to get a good idea of how many people encounter bad situations on a day to day basis. Weather it's a small one or not(Machinery problems, client problems, problems you caused). Also say the biggest problem you've had to overcome. I.e. shorting electrical out.

Has anyone ever had to fix something on a house and use their insurance? Say like gutters, landscaping, wood, chipping paint, etc.

19 answers to this question

So far I have not had any serious issues, only minor iritants. I have lost two screws holding the handle to my ball valves. The first time it happened I purchased a new ball valve so I would have one while I replaced the screw. I have not done so yet because now I cannot find the handle. The 2nd ball valve's screw fell out on a job the first time being used and I was unable to find it on the ground. I had to keep the handle in my back pocket till I was ready to open or close the valve. Heading out today to a local distributor to get the replacement parts.

Nothing I couldn't fix on site for the most part. Bidding a residential yesterday and after we signed the papers he tolde to watch out for a large snake that lives in the bushes. If I don't make any posts by next week you'll know it was a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing I couldn't fix on site for the most part. Bidding a residential yesterday and after we signed the papers he tolde to watch out for a large snake that lives in the bushes. If I don't make any posts by next week you'll know it was a problem.

I'll tell you one that I've had. Windows not being closed properly, but enough that you can't tell it's open. When you see the curtain flap while you're rinsing, it's too late, lol. Never had any major issues, sometimes water intrusion around doors with bad seals, even with low pressure, but I've learned to set expectations properly over the years, warn customers thoroughly about making sure windows and doors are closed COMPLETELY, etc.

As for snakes. I had this little corn snake come out from between the boards when I started spraying stain on these stairs (pics of those coming soon). He was a friendly little bloke, but he didn't like me shooting Ready Seal into his hiding place. We met 13' up in the air under the upper landing of the stairs I was working on. Naturally, I had to follow him and get another shot when he flopped on the ground. I've owned a number of snakes, so I'm not really bothered by them at all.

post-2623-137772433312_thumb.jpg

post-2623-137772433258_thumb.jpg

I don't mind the snakes much either, it's the giant spiders and underground wasp nests that get me running and screaming like a little girl. Actually my concern was for the snake when I start cleaning the house. I'll work around him somehow. If it was spiders or wasps it would be a different story.

I have a tip that's real useful with wasps, hornets, bees, etc. DO NOT RUN from them. Turn and face them DEAD ON and smack the tar out of them. If you over ride your natural instinct to run from them, face them in a determined fashion, and smack the crap out of them, they will buzz off. This is a tried and true method I use, and have taught to others who use it with great success.

These little buggers don't want a fight, they want to sting you for invading their space and get away with it. If you come at them hard, they will back down every time. I promise you, no lie.

I posted this on pressuretek forums recently too. While doing these same stairs, which are way out in the boonies, I was buzzed by at least a dozen of them, and fought them all off. I had one around the beginning of the month try to attack me as I went to collect a check from the customer. He was REAL persistent, took about a dozen swings at him before he backed off, but IT WORKS....and this I promise you.

Naturally if it's a dozen of them, you need to bug out, but the last time I was stung was a LONG, LONG time ago, and it was because I turned and ran away. I have NEVER run since that day, and I never get stung. If you try this method, I swear you will be pleasantly surprised by the result, unless you are real slow and uncoordinated, lol, but you do NOT have to even hit them. Just face them dead on and take shots like Mike Tyson, and they will boogie.

I was stung on the finger while holding on to a ladder last week. I couldnt believe the Pain while it was happening. It has been a long time since i have been stung and hope its a lomg time or never till my next sting

I love my xjet

Wasp's don't problem solved.

... antagonizing wasp hornets bees is not a good idea period.

I do the same with those large bowling ball type nests. I pull straight 15 percent SH to the XJet to solve that problem.

I love my xjet.

Wasp's don't problem solved.

... antagonizing wasp hornets bees is not a good idea period.

That works great when you have the wand/gun in your hand. Same with the airless sprayer. Hit them with anything you're spraying and that helps, but if you're empty handed, you'll be very surprised to see how my method works. Or you can just try running and get stung!

Blown hoses, fainting helpers, plastic tanks left in front of mufflers, fires, ( yes fires), neighbors annoyed, dogs, equipment failure, traffic, run off, mechanical issues.

Getting in over your head,pricing way too low, not doing a test spot before giving a price, houses to close together, not understanding plants and what chem's do to them. Break downs are a function of the business . Carry two of everything. Practice on friends and relatives .

Practice on friends and relatives .

...and then see if they want you to wash their house.

sorry jim couldn't resist.

nothing like a clean mother in law though. lol.

Blown hoses, fainting helpers, plastic tanks left in front of mufflers, fires, ( yes fires), neighbors annoyed, dogs, equipment failure, traffic, run off, mechanical issues.[/. I do have a funny story about mufflers. I got to type that in soon.