Sign in to follow this  
Melanie

Armstrong Clark dilemma

Question

I am in a dilemma. Last year a custom mix was created using Cabot Australian Timber oil. Mix was 2:1 (2) Honey Teak/ (1) Jarrah brown. Great results, loved the color. It was put on a new deck.

It did not last & was about to get some more, that was before I found out about the non-existance of the product. This was their old oil base.

After reading all the rave reviews on Armstrong Clark, I am sold on their product. Probably use the semi T. Unfortunately not so much on their color choices.

The deck floor is PT while the railings etc are cedar. I am not a fan of the yellow/orange color of some of the cedars. So when I looked at the cedar finish, all I saw was yellow/orange. I am in between because I don't want to go as dark as the brown but yet I don't want the orange either. I have put some photos of the deck showing the desired color we want. Can anyone advise me of a guess to what ratio to begin with?post-9859-137772434876_thumb.jpg

post-9859-137772434805_thumb.jpg

post-9859-137772434844_thumb.jpg

post-9859-137772434856_thumb.jpg

post-9859-137772434866_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

That's a beautiful deck!

So are you a homeowner or a contractor? signatures are required

You are not wanting it as orange as it looks in those pics? Looks a little orange but might be just the camera?

I don't use AC so Beth or Charlie will chime in as they use the AC all the time. I'm not sure If you can stain over that previous stain with AC or it might have to be stripped and brightened?

Welcome to the TGS

Your deck now looks pretty similar to Armstrong Cedar Semi as it sits now. Yours has a good bit of orange tone to it. The cedar is probably a lot closer than you would think. Although honestly every deck is different and will take on slightly different shades. For example:

post-2382-137772434886_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772434902_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772434908_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772434913_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772434919_thumb.jpg

You have a slight hint of red in your deck now, but if you want to go closer to cedar brown you could go with 4 gallons cedar semi to 1 gallon rustic brown. I've never done that mix before but we have done half and half Rustic Brown and Cedar Semi and it is much darker than I think you want (see pictures). So go easy on the brown

post-2382-137772434924_thumb.jpg

post-2382-13777243493_thumb.jpg

And also you are going to have to strip all that old stain off to go with a new product. Love the details on the railings, that looks like a major PITA though so good luck haha

Tell us who you are first. Fill out your signature. I can recommend a true expert in your area that can do anything to that Deck or advise you on what to do. His customers are very high end. So who are you? As for Jake Clark his family is from the Flood line but Jake created his own stain product. You can contact him direct but if you want anymore info from us fill out your signature and what it is you do. Where here to help.

Your deck now looks pretty similar to Armstrong Cedar Semi as it sits now. Yours has a good bit of orange tone to it. The cedar is probably a lot closer than you would think. Although honestly every deck is different and will take on slightly different shades. For example:

Hey Charlie, your watermarks are not showing up.

You have a slight hint of red in your deck now, but if you want to go closer to cedar brown you could go with 4 gallons cedar semi to 1 gallon rustic brown. I've never done that mix before but we have done half and half Rustic Brown and Cedar Semi and it is much darker than I think you want (see pictures). So go easy on the brown

You could also try 4 gallons semi-cedar to 1/2 gallon rustic brown, 1/2 gallon sierra redwood.

Beth

Hey Charlie, your watermarks are not showing up.

I dont know how to do that fancy stuff. If someone is that desperate to steal it, I'll ask them to remove if I find out. If they live close to me, well I can track people down. And I own firearms

Been away on vacation.

Signatures, Sorry in my haste I did not read all that I guess I should have. I am a retired contractor. This is my deck. Yes, the photos do show much more orange than can be seen with the eye.

I must give huge Kudo's to Jake. After I posted here I decided to write to the Company & was just pleasantly surprised to receive a letter in return. Impressed now with not just their product but also the Customer Service.

I am going to send for some samples & play around.

Thank you for all the advise.