Sign in to follow this  
John T

When do you draw the line on showing contractors in your area "The Ropes"?

Question

Over the years I had a few guys work with me on some jobs to learn the ropes. I've worked with other companies to complete jobs but that's a bit different. We were also called in for many jobs that other past contractors did a shlop job with.

Today I still network and throw jobs back and forth to contractors in my area.

But now when your talking about very specialized work when would you draw the line on who you would allow to come and who you would't want there?

6 answers to this question

I talk to a lot of guys around the country. Some I help some are helping me. As far as drawing the line I've never had someone who would be a direct competitor contact me. So my answer would be no training for direct competitors.

I will work with or refer work to people in my area if needed.

Edited by apsurfacesolutions

I agree with Clark, help all those who you want that are not direct competition. If they are a direct competitor tell them business is business and if you want to help then refer then to someone out of area for assistance.

Yeah, no bones for direct competitors. I'm not here to teach them how I make my money so they can steal it. I enjoy helping online those who I can, but not someone in my back yard.

I don't have a problem helping local people on techniques and methods. I figure I am probably traiing 40 potential competitors at a time, anyways. I would rather they be informed on proper techniques then go make a mess of something, and causing problems for everyone that follows them. I have enough competition like that.

I do draw the line on pricing. I know how much I want to make, and I know what is required to perform the work to my satisfaction. I don't know what others need to make, and will not give pricing information out to anyone. Call it a personal bias.

I would rather have friends in competition with me than enemies. I will give advice and help to anyone who asks and get calls from all over the country. I see so much bad work in the paver sealing biz that if I can keep someone from having a ruined paver deck by telling a competitor how to do it right, I will. I will tell them how to price also because everyone already undercuts me so what the hell. That has worked well because many competitors have brought up their pricing. They figure if this fool can get that kind of money, they can too! So we all win.