Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Exterior Gutter Cleaning

For the black streaks, I use Purple Power applied through a ShurFlo or pump up (butyl based automotive degreaser, like Pam's mentioned). There are other brands available through various distributors....Zep makes a purple cleaner (at home depot), various janitorial places servicing kitchen supplies will sell it as a degreaser. PP costs about $8 for a 2.5 gallon container from Auto Zone. If you want to avoid pressure washing them, brush it on (I use full strength) and rinse off. Don't allow it to dwell longer than about 30 seconds as it could degrade the integrity of the paint. It will usually make windows ugly when it gets on them, however, and they will have to be cleaned.

If you have green stuff, then yeah (or is it no??), bleach will not work. If you have the black streaks or excessive grime, bleach is ineffective. The black streaks are caused by the water overflowing in the gutters and staining the gutters with the residual oils leached from the roof. Overflow is caused by undersized or clogged gutters.

I prefer to use products that are formulated specifically for removal of black streaks. Home brews sometimes work, and sometimes do not.

Most of the distributors that carry chems for the pressure wash industry carry such products.

For the past few years, I have been using Krud Kutter. It costs about $5 at HD. I dilute 50/50 with water and apply with a soft brush, using a 24' extension. Excellent results. Do not let dry, or you'll have to re-clean.

As Ryan stated Purple Power will do the trick on gutters and aluminum.The butyl breaks the electrostatic bond the dirt makes with the metal.I get a 5 gallon bucket for a little over $15 from advanced auto parts.You can also use the PP for a light degreaser.

I am going to buy an 18' BBE HD extension for power washing. Do you guys use this type of extension for flow through brushes or are they too flimsy? How does this set up work?

I might have to try the Purple Pooper. It would be nice to find somthing that works that can be bought down the street.

Purple Power is $3.50 a gallon here, and it works like a charm. :D

I started using it about a month ago and love the results. cheap and works as good as any of the other products you will pay twice as much for over the internet.

Purper Power is great to clean your rims too don't let sit to long though.

Also watch out it will eat your car's clear coat and paint....watch for over spray.

Quick removel is the key to this product.