Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

shur-flo and flojet users

Question

I am wondering how long you can have chlorine or caustic (sodium hydroxide) in your shur-flo or flojet before you rinse it out. I am bidding on a gas station with 12 pumps and there is a little bit of oil that I would like to pre-treat but will need to use the surface cleaner to clean everything. Could I pre-treat 2 bays then clean them then do another 2 bays and at the end (probably 2 to 4 hours later) rinse out the pump? I do not want to pre-treat all of the bays at once because of having to move the trailer constantly, re connecting the water hose, do not want to let the chemical dry, etc.... I am thinking of doing the hand truck with tank and pump and battery thing instead of leaving everything on the trailer. Please tell me what you think and of experience with having to do a lot of pre-treating and a lot of time before you can rinse the pump out. Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Hi Chris,

We use a shur-flo in our applications and as you may know, we use HD-80 which is highly caustic. The viton valves and santoprene diaphram in our unit have held up for several years of use and the components have not been changed. I do not know what valves or diaphram is in your unit, but a few hours would not be of any consequence from our experience. They are tough pumps!

Rod~

I use a shurflo to do roofs, so it isn't uncommon for chlorine to remain in the pump for 2-3 hours at a time. Just make sure you flush the pump with plenty of fresh water when you're done. I use 10-15 gallons to flush clean and then run the pump dry.

I've had chlorine in my shurflo pumps from sun up to sundown on occasion and they still work just as good as they did when I first purchased them. Then again I,ve only had them for 3 or 4 months.