Sign in to follow this  
Bailey Property Service

Percarb over rated?

Question

9 answers to this question

Just washed a deck with EFC-38 full strength. No sealer present. Deck was green with a thin layer of algae I guess. Barely budged the stuff. Any suggestions?

Lee

Never used a pre carb when a bleach/soap solution works just fine then you can brighten it and it looks as good as new!

Was the deck green from mildew or green from the ACQ treatment?

Precarbs are GREAT for when you want a gentle clean. When you want to maintenance a deck sealed with an oil-based sealer and not pull out sealer, or when cleaning the dirt fromconstruction pre-carbs do really well. Since they are a mostly nuetraul PH cleaner, then they do not do much for the "growth" that may need to be cleaned. That's when a bleach/soap solution will work better. Products are available that are pre-carbs that have a little caustic in to help with the cleaning when some "growth" is present or you still want gentle but maybe want to lightly strip. I used pre-carbs mostly for doing the maintenance jobs or newly built jobs. For the rest I used the "powered-up" cleaners like diluted stripper or bleach/soap solutions.....Also pre-carbs make working around plants safer....

With severe green mold its easier to remove it with pressure

first. If you have hot water makes this even easier . If there is a blanket of green mold over the floor Ive

put down a roof grade bleach solution and it's still not a 100 %. Mold is harder than stripping on occasion .

- - - Updated - - -

I pad issues.

With severe green mold its easier to remove it with pressure

first. If you have hot water makes this even easier . If there is a blanket of green mold over the floor Ive

put down a roof grade bleach solution and it's still not a 100 %. Mold is harder than stripping on occasion .

- - - Updated - - -

I pad issues.

To me his thin layer of green sounds like the ACQ treatment green.Will a pre carb not remove mildew at all not even on the surface?

Pictures would be so helpful too....

You order your new I phone 5 Jim?

It is not ACQ. Its on mahogany that had not been seales in 6 years or so. It came out fine but just seemed I had to use alot more pressure than usual. Was green layer very slippery. I boosted the EFC-38 with a little NaOH that worked a little better.

I wonder if I should be cleaning with diluted Naoh insted of percarb.

Lee

Bleach works better on mold than Noah . On decks that need to be stripped and have a serious mold cover. I will clean the mold first with a bleach solution then apply Noah to remove the finish. If you apply a Noah solution first the mold prevents it from reaching the finish.

It is not ACQ. Its on mahogany that had not been seales in 6 years or so. It came out fine but just seemed I had to use alot more pressure than usual. Was green layer very slippery. I boosted the EFC-38 with a little NaOH that worked a little better.

I wonder if I should be cleaning with diluted Naoh insted of percarb.

Lee

Ahh mahogany the Bentley of wood I don't see that much here in Texas cause pine decking is king!

I think it's easier on the wood to clean with bleach and then add some Naoh to that solution if you need something a little stronger.If you have mildew problems there is nothing that will kill mildew like bleach!

Just washed a deck with EFC-38 full strength. No sealer present. Deck was green with a thin layer of algae I guess. Barely budged the stuff. Any suggestions?

Lee

Would like to see some pictures. The right mixture of percarbonate/hydroxide should eliminate any organic compound. Any time you are dealing with a sodium based chemical you need to neutralize with an acid.

I have found the correct sodium percarbonate mixture is effective at removing most weathered oil based products effectively. If necessary, add some sodium hydroxide.

Again, post some pictures.

Scott