Sign in to follow this  
adco

Black Streaks on Gutters

Question

Has anyone tried using a white scrub pad, or something similar to remove the most stubborn black streaks. Sometimes gutter stains are a bit difficult to remove even when using a strong gutter cleaner and a soft brush.

10 answers to this question

Has anyone tried using a white scrub pad, or something similar to remove the most stubborn black streaks. Sometimes gutter stains are a bit difficult to remove even when using a strong gutter cleaner and a soft brush.

Gutter stains are typically not "on" the gutter, but usually oxidized into the finish. The only way that we have found that works is to use Bob's gutter cleaner to lighten the stains.

We've gotten good enough at removing the finish using a car wash brush, I can't imagine what a ScotchBrite pad would do.

Gutters ! Probably the most annoying subject concerning house washing on the BB .If anyone took anytime they could figured how to clean them in 20 minutes. If they bought a couple of the cleaners that clean gutters imagine the results? Just think if a pole had a brush attached to it dipped in a butyl solution...............say no more

I've used Purple Power and other butyl based cleaners which cleans most gutters but there is a handful of gutters that are still difficult removing some of the darkness. Also, using butyl seems to take of the shine, dulling the gutters. Is there a cleaner that works with no butyl because if the windows aren't rinsed well enough it will etch them. Words of advice would much appreciated.

Thanks

Buy butyl straight and make your own solution . All chem's are etching the surface to rid the stains. I never noticed a dulling of a dirty gutter after thousands cleaned. The thickness of the paint is limited and I've gotten to the metal after a few cleanings of the same gutter.

James, you mentioned that you have gotten to bare metal after washing gutters several times. Do you offer to paint the gutters if that happens, or explain that it could happen before you do the work?

Don't offer reprinting gutters. Get butyl from a chem house or a good potent degreaser has it in it. I tried touching a gutter up in my early days but you have to do the whole gutter because it stands out too much.