Sign in to follow this  
NewGuy

upgrade pump?

Hi guys,

quick question. i currently have 3400 psi 2.8 gpm machine and after reading definately come to the conclusion i definately need more gpm's. Can i upgrade my pump and get more gpms? Im thinking about upgrading the pump instead of buying new machine to save on money? what do you think?

Hi guys,

quick question. i currently have 3400 psi 2.8 gpm machine and after reading definately come to the conclusion i definately need more gpm's. Can i upgrade my pump and get more gpms? Im thinking about upgrading the pump instead of buying new machine to save on money? what do you think?

Welcome to the TGS please add your signature to your profile it's forum rules.

What type of cleaning are you doing?

im doing mostly residential but ive happened across some commercial cleaning recently and its taking wayy too long. as far as surfaces: tile roofs, pavers, asphault, concrete, basics..

changed it...but have no idea why its not changing

Edited by NewGuy

im doing mostly residential but ive happened across some commercial cleaning recently and its taking wayy too long. as far as surfaces: tile roofs, pavers, asphault, concrete, basics..

changed it...but have no idea why its not changing

If you log out and log in again you should be ok on the signature.

Well I'm not a pressure washer I'm in wood restoration but from what I've read most guys are using 8gpm and up pumps also with heat. There are roof pump setups that are strictly for cleaning roofs IE: Fatboy pumps. You will want a pump flow "GPM" to do all the cleaning for you when it comes to concrete cleaning not so much the PSI. You also want really good chemicals for whatever surface you are trying to clean.

and as far as my question...should i upgrade my pump?

Thanks for the advice though

I would say yes. If the size of your engine will allow you to upgrade your pump?

[ATTACH]19430[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19431[/ATTACH]

Hope these pics help, what do u think?

I would think the max would be a 4.0 GPM pump but someone that knows more about pumps will chime in.

I've use this company before and they had great prices.... Pumps - Bolt On and Go : AR Pumps : Pressure Washer Pumps : Water Cannon

[ATTACH]19430[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19431[/ATTACH]

Hope these pics help, what do u think?

Jorge,

You have to be single. If not, save your money for a divorce lawyer. Not 1 in 100 wives would allow a PW inside the house on wall to wall carpeting!

I'm not sure that an upgrade to a 4.0 GPM pump from a 2.8 is going to make that much of a difference. You may want to save up and purchase a larger PW. There should be some good deals on decent used equipment as winter is coming on.

Not single actually, and no carpet at the house..that picture is out side on the while patio..made outta some special concrete that doesnt get hot..forget what its called, real common down here

So upgrading to 4gpm wont make a difference....great...do you think i can upgrade higher than?..

Jorge, if you want to make a dollar from this game, you have to spend the $$. Just a fact. 4 gpm minimum! 3,000 psi. Good enough. 18 hp ideal, not so much strain on a smaller engine. Rick said that he didnt think the extra 2gals would make much of a difference........ you've just doubled your cleaning capacity!! Look at it like this; Your house is on fire. What would you rather comes out of the fire hose? 150 gallons a minute or 300........? Thats the difference between pressure vs volume. Good luck.

Your engine is the equivalent of a 5-6 hp unit so it could not handle much more torque to run a higher gpm/psi pump.

It would burn it up quick.

For the money, your dollars would be better spent just buying a better unit.

Rod!~

Now Rick is giving advise on pressure washers?

Brian,

Hah! Good point.

... Rick said that he didnt think the extra 2gals would make much of a difference........ you've just doubled your cleaning capacity!! ...

Micky,

An upgrade from a 2.8 to a 4.0 GPM pump is not a doubling of flow, it is ~ 40%. As Brian so subtlety pointed out, we specialize in wood care, not flat work that Jorge is tackling. With the resultant lower PSI with the larger pump, would the PW be adequate for that type of work?

and as far as my question...should i upgrade my pump?

Thanks for the advice though

If your trying to make money with your powerwasher Its not worth it to upgrade your pump on that machine. You need the very least a 3.5-4gpm @3000psi Powerwasher to start making any real coin.

New is the way to go but for you if its not feasible at this time look around on craigs list or ebay for a used Powerwasher with the above specs that is belt driven so the pump will last the longest for you since its only running about 40% RPM of what a small engine runs at which is usually around 3600 rpms.

You'll see some decent deals right about now because many in this business do not make it and they sell there equipment now because they need the money. Its an unfortunate thing to say but it is reality.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, i really apreciate all the help. Got some jobs comin up so hopefully ill generate enough to buy christmas presents for wife and son & buy myself a toy lol...